need help with pump size

teen

so i just picked up a small little acrylic tank and i need help picking a return pump.
tank is 16 gallons, its an acrylic tank with dual overflows drilled for 2x 1" bulkheads. that means its capable of draining 1200 gph, correct? 600 gph per 1" drain, right?
would i be alright picking up a return pump that does say 600gph after head loss and leaving those bulkheads wide open? like are those bulkheads only going to drain what im pumping back into the tank?

scsinet

Yes, if you have built in overflows, they can only drain at the rate water is pumped into the tank. I don't know who in their right mind drilled a 16g tank for dual 600gph overflows, but even 600gph is a heck of a lot of flow.

teen

Originally Posted by SCSInet
http:///forum/post/3143694
Yes, if you have built in overflows, they can only drain at the rate water is pumped into the tank. I don't know who in their right mind drilled a 16g tank for dual 600gph overflows, but even 600gph is a heck of a lot of flow.
lol i know, right. i believe its like this because its technically a frag tank thats supposed to be plumbed into a main tank. but im using it as my main tank so thats my guess.
thanks for the help.