Need help with skimmer

fishfreak1242

So about a month ago I got a Octopus DNW-110 recirculating protein skimmer, I set it all up in my sump and it's seems to be doing well. The only problem is that I can't get it dialed in. I dial it in so that the water level is about 1/4 of way up the cone part, but it keeps overflowing the cup with a really wet skim. And then I dialed it down so that it wouldn't overflow and it didn't collect anything in the cup. What am I doing wrong? I'm using a small 175 gph pump as the feed pump.

fishfreak1242

Also I'd like to point out that I upgraded from a sea-clone and I've never had any expierience with these type of skimmers.

scsinet

I haven't seen this problem with mine...
However, the twisty pipe type "valve" they use for height adjustment is pretty lame. I think they make a gate valve upgrade for it that should offer you better adjustment. Another alternative might be to set the level high and use a small valve to regulate the flow going into the skimmer. That's what I am doing and it works pretty well. It's six of one half a dozen of the other... regulating the feedwater or the effluent.

fishfreak1242

Originally Posted by SCSInet
http:///forum/post/2876203
I haven't seen this problem with mine...
However, the twisty pipe type "valve" they use for height adjustment is pretty lame. I think they make a gate valve upgrade for it that should offer you better adjustment. Another alternative might be to set the level high and use a small valve to regulate the flow going into the skimmer. That's what I am doing and it works pretty well. It's six of one half a dozen of the other... regulating the feedwater or the effluent.
I'll try that!