Need Help with Southdown Sand

hip68

I have been unable to locate any Southdown here in the Houston area. I did have an idea however. If someone who can get Southdown from Home Depot could get me their SKU# for it, I could get my home depot down here to order some based on that. I figured having Home Depots own product number might make it easier to order from.
Thanks for the help!

brewercm

Don't mean to shatter your hopes but the sku that Home Depot goes by is just generic to Play Sand and not a specific type. What he gave you was the actual upc code and may work but so far I've not heard of anyone having any luck that way.
I did read somewhere that Southdown has changed names to OldCastle and it may be available at Wal-Mart, you may want to check there. I did here that it is the same sand regardless and passed the vinegar test, if that's a good test or not I've been told it is. Supposedly if it's aragonite based sand it will fiz up and eventually disolve in vinegar, if silica based it won't do anything
Here's another thing I'm gonna try. I was given two numbers
to call, I'm gonna see if they happen to distribute anywhere around San Antonio I'll also ask about the Houston area for you and get back tomorrow.

cboyfan2020

maybe this will help. from a diff board.
All you EVER wanted to know about Southdown
Hi all.
I thought perhaps I could help everyone out a little bit by consolidating all information on the southdown sand situation w/ Home Depot.
The reason I do this - it keeps popping up - but not the whole story - so after a couple phone calls, a few HD trips and some research here we go:
Southdown tropical play sand is the new thing in reef beds. Why? A study was done and found that this sand has a "perfect" mixture of particulate size for DSBs. Don't ask me - I use CC and am intent on killing my fish. I got some for my seahorse tank and refugium.
Ok - now who can get it? Unfortunately it is only available from Home Depot in the Northeast. Southdown is (was) a regional company from Pennsylvania. Last year in Oct/Nov they were purchased by a company called Cemex. This is a company based in Mexico that "financial investors" believe will be restructuring to concentrate solely on Cement products and may severely decrease or stop the ancillary products of lime and sand Southdown does or did manufacture.
What does this mean? According to Home Depot - they are having more and more problems getting Southdown Sand. My feeling - get it while you can - as it may not be around in the near future. Conjecture solely - but certainly possible.
So - if a company like Home Depot is having problems getting a product - what do they do? They find another source. Home Depot has done that.
Caveat Reefer
The SKU for Southdown play sand is 578-819. This is a universal SKU for 2 different vendors of play sand. The other supplier is NOT Southdown and looks strikingly different. If you read nothing else - read this -
Do Not Order Southdown Playsand w/ this SKU or description and Expect to get Southdown.....The manufacturer will vary and needs to be physically checked by you or the HD guy.
To help things along if you call Home Depot or go there the product is found in one of two places. It is found by the lumber or in the Garden Center. The Garden Center manager is who does the ordering and that is "division" or "section" 28 (Garden).
Some Home Depots will consider doing transfers of this product. I made some calls and found that they will charge a customer $35 for a "stock transfer" regardless of 2 bags or 1 skid. The problem is getting them to make good on this or getting them to actually get it done. I have read several threads where getting HD to actually do the transfer was an exercise in futility. To my knowledge it has not been done successfully yet. This is probably due to the managers getting paid on turn and earn (low inventory) and the lack of profit from a bag of sand.
So that is what I have to report all...If you have any questions - ask away.......and to prove I know of what I speak....I offer up my very significant investment purchased today -
and,
I'm glad people got some good information out of this. That makes me happy. Some of this information will be very slightly redundant - but is a compilation of several boards' information - pls forgive my not wanting to type this 4 different ways.
It sounds as if the transferring is possible - but will require some real effort and some luck to find the right person to do it. I do subscribe to about 4 boards and have heard of 5 cases so far reported of getting sand transferred out of the Northeast - It has ranged in cost from no extra charges to $100 plus freight, plus cost of product. Nice parity there in policy Home Depot...sheesh...
Two cases reported of people ordering by SKU and getting the "non Southdown" play sand.....remember to have them check for Southdown style before transferring and ordering. I have also seen at least 20 people post they are S.O.L. Keep trying folks if you have the time and desire - looks like it is possible.
Southdown has been reportedly transferred from Northeast HD stores to Cincinnati, OH, Nashville, TN & Winston/Salem, NC. Anyone get it transferred from a HD farther west or south than these places?
It also seems, like I reported earlier, that the product is stocked only the Northeast (including New England). It is not stocked in every location by any stretch of the imagination. Several people did as I did and found that Southdown's SKU is not listed on the Home Depot website. I called and asked why. Apparently if it is not UPS"able" it does not go on the website.
During the conversation w/ Home Depot it turns out there are actually 5 manufacturers listed under this sku that make playsand for Home Depot NE region. The northeast region is defined as northern Virginia market over to Pennsylvania and into New England. If Southdown is at a store that is not in this area - it is a fluke.
The Home Depot policy according to the manager at customer service I talked to re: shipping Southdown between stores is "Get Bent". So - if you want it shipped to your local HD - polish up on your smooth talking, ask for a lady in the Garden Center and do your very best Barry White voice.......we got it together now baby.......
The manager suggested that if I really wanted Southdown - call them directly and pool an order. So I called Southdown. The number for Southdown Sales and Customer Service (located in Easton, PA) is 800-526-1753. The closest manufacturing plant to me is in Thomasville, PA (York, PA) and they do sell direct to the public in skid quantities and will even do a will call (pick-up).
They also have a plant in northwestern New Jersey:
1 Limecrest Rd
Lafayette, NJ 07848
(973) 383-2000
It was also suggested that LFS buy a few pallets and help their customers out. Southdown is trying very hard to send their sand to other markets - but as of yet - Home Depot being set up regionally - has "local vendors" and is not buying from them out of the NE region. Southdown confirmed that they only ship to HD stores above Northern Virginia. They don't even ship to HD stores in Virginia Beach or Richmond. The lady at Southdown was very nice and helpful. She said there are no plans as of now to discontinue the production of sand......who knows....

brewercm

As Cboyfan said that was the number I had also and called and they told me that they don't distribute this far west (yet). She didn't know if there are any plans already worked out to go that far west but she wasn't aware of them.
As far as the info Cboyfan put down it was the same one I was speaking of and found. I didn't know if we could post a phone number on this message board or not.
Let me know if you find anything out different and I'll do the same. Looks like us Texans will have to stick together on this.

treg

Hip
I am also looking for Southdown sand but in Ohio. Not much luck on my part either. CoralDynamics is about 100 miles from me but sold out the day before I had the chance to make it up there...
Anyway I was searching google and found This in your area. It might be something for you to look into and maybe some of the nice people here can comment on it as I am just a noob trying to learn still.
Good Luck, hope maybe this helps you.

hip68

Cool! Thanks! Im gonna be out an about tday so I will check them out. My girlfriend's freshwater puffer has developed ich.... so we hafta go get some medicine for it. I will look at this place tho and let everyone know what i find .

cboyfan2020

actually the guy I just bought my SD from got his pallet from a friend in dallas. They ordered two pallets and had HD do a store transfer. You really have to be a smooth talker or know the garden manager to do this and you have to order at least 1 pallet which is like 50 bags or something. Most people try to set it up with one or two pallets and have a group order. Theyhave gotten it in KC, California, Arizona, Dallas, OKC, etc just to name a few. Good luck, you'll need it.:D

hip68

Thanks TREG!!! One of the shops listes on that link Global Fish n Pets here in Houston had what is labeled as Pure Carribbean Arogonite in a 40lb bag. Its VERY fine and was only 20 bucks. Not nearly as cheap as Southdown, but i can find this stuff. SO this is what i am going to use. Thanks again!
This shop is great.. EXCELLENT prices.. they even have a 4 stage RO/DI unit that makes 100g a day for $180!

buzz

If it helps, the Southdown Corporation also markets the exact same sand under the name of YardRight. So if you see this, you are getting the same thing, as long as it says Tropical Playsand.
The only difference is that YardRight comes in 40lb bags and Southdown is 50lb.

goldrush

A little tip. Call around for Yardright,but call nurserys.People use the white sand to do decorative outdoor landscaping. That's where I found it here in Ct.,all you want.

georgem

for anyone interested the hd in chippewa beaver falls pa 724-846-7990 has southdown i was there today got 5 bags they had about 2 pallets that i seen 4.99 a bag.i was told they carry it all year long