Need Help

fire30b

I have a 75 gal with about 50 lbs. of live rock. Do I have to use different supplements for my LR? I have been adding Kent Marine Essential Elements, Liquid Calcium, Strontium & Molybdenum, Pro Buffer DKH, and Iodine. Should I continue using this products?

imb

It all depends - on the age of the tank and whether you have corals in the tank -
Generally - the essential elements are added with water changes. Monitor your calcium and alk by testing - can use b-ionic (2 part ) to add if needed. Raise calcium faster by using turbo calcium. Can maintain the calcium and alk by dripping kalkwasser. Many just do this and don't add all that other stuff. If you have a lot of corals - you might want to add some coral accelerator. Certain corals require individual feedings. If you just have LR and its cycling - don't add anything

birdy

First- don't add anything you do not test for, it is very dangerous and can really screw things up. The only thing I add my tank is kalkwasser and alkalinity buffer, and I only add those after testing, all other trace elements are replaced via weekly 10% water changes.

fire30b

All I have in the tank right now is just fish and LR with CC. What is Kalkwasser? How do I test for Alkalinity? Should I continue adding calcium?

birdy

You should not need to add any calcium if you do not have corals. Water changes should keep your levels where they should be. Testing for alkalinty is like other test, they sell a test kit for it.