Need Help....

mr.p

Okay, I'll admit that I let my tank go for a few months, It was empty, other than a few hermits. Anyways, last month, I decided to really fix it up and clean it up, I bought a new filter, added some new live rock and sand, new powerhead, so everything is running great. I have one more problem though, my lights don't turn on. I was hoping that it was just the bulbs, but I bought a new bulb and the lights still don't turn on.
I don't know anything about aquarium lighting, i've never had this problem before. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do? What parts I can order? Or if there are portable aquarium lights that I can use, just in case I can never get my lights to ever work. Thanks for any help.

mr.p

Just pretty much standard lights, nothing special. I just need to know what might be the problem, or potential problems.

R

reefernana

What they were asking you is what type of lighting are you using? Are yours regular fluorescents or power compacts? And do you know if your lights are run by ballasts? If so, that may be your problem. You may need new ballasts. If that isn't the problem, it sounds like something electrical to me.

mr.p

oops, sorry (lol). I'm a bit tired, and yes, they are fluorescent and I was thinking that the ballasts may be the problem. Any idea on how much those usually cost to fix? A guy that I know at my LFS also said that I may need a new starter, he told me to bring it in so he can take a look at it.
Anyways, another question that I have is, I really am tempted to add some livestock in my tank, everything is good and ready to go. Do you think that I should hold off on that until my light situation is fixed? Thanks for the help

R

reefernana

That would be a yes! How long has your tank been cycling for since you added the new live rock and filter? Have you been watching your water readings to see if your ammonia has spiked yet and gone back down? Nitrites? Nitrates? All should be at zero or as close to before you think about adding livestock. I would get your lighting fixed, then make sure your tank has finished cycling, then when that's all stable you can add some inverts. Just don't add anything too quickly. Go slow. What size is your tank anyway? Oh, yeah, and I don't have a clue how much for the ballasts. First you need to find out what you actually have. I guess you'll have to trust your lfs to look at them for you. But, before you let them have a go with it, after you find out what type you have, I would look online for replacements. Might be cheaper for you........

mr.p

Thanks for the advice. I will wait, It's been over a month since I added the new filter, new live rock and new live sand. I've tested my water twice since, no ammonia spike. Nitrates are at 15, they have been at that level for the longest time, not sure if I can ever get them down lol. My tanks been running for over 2 yrs, I just kind of neglected it for a few months.
Anyways, thanks, I will do the research, I can trust my lfs store, i'm actually friends with a guy who works there. He always helps me out, he comes into my work and I always give him my discount (lol). I think I can trust him.My tank is 65 gallons. I have a few inverts in there, they've been living in there for over a year, just a few hermits.
I just really miss having livestock in my tank, I know I have to be patient like when I first started outm, but it's hard. lol.

R

reefernana

Originally Posted by Mr.P
I just really miss having livestock in my tank, I know I have to be patient like when I first started outm, but it's hard. lol.

Boy, don't I know it! It's real hard! But, from everything I've read and heard, it really pays off in the long run. Most of the experts say your tank isn't totally stable until it's been operating for at least a year. Talk about needing patience...............lol!

mr.p

Haha. yeah, but I think that it all depends on how you run things. I think sometimes that people go by the book a little too much. I mean, don't get me wrong, I know you need to take pre-cautions, etc. But, I just think that sometimes you have to take a chance, sometimes go ahead and get that extra fish, just be cautious and do you're homework. Just my opinion, maybe that's why my tank is empty right now, though.
hahahaha.