Need Help

purpletang1

my tank has been cloudy for the past two weeks. It is a 90 gallon with a skimmer, two powerheads, a marineland 350, 200, and 150 on it. I cut my lights back to 8 hours a day and then cut them off completely for 24 hours and it seemed to clear up some. But it has now become cloudy and has a green tint to it. Anything I could do to clear this up for good? Not really worth having the t tank if its gonna be like this. I almost fill like just giving up.

robdog696

Do you have sand? Depending on where your powerheads and pumps are pointed you may be stirring up sand... especially if you have "sugar-sized" sand. Pics might be helpful. But cloudiness is definitely not normal. I have dealt with similar issues... all part of the learning process that is reef keeping.

mch2o

Wait how old is your tank? It looks like you have fish in there. If so I would find somewhere to but them for now. IMO you need some live rock in there for starters. What are you using as a filter right now ?

mch2o

IMO that is the 1 thing you got to work on man is your filter system. Make a smup they are very cheap. Only thing cost you money is the return pump and the utube overflow.

barchtruong

3mo old and still that cloudy, that is not right.
typically, if you if sandy sand, then it takes only about 3 days to get cleared up nicely.
Your filtration system is not enuf.
Water circulation is not enuf.
What type of water have you been using? Tap water? if so, that is part of the problem. SW can only go a long way with RO or DI.
Your fish is on the sand. That is not a good sign.
Get the water to flow faster on the top portion, not bottom of the tank first. Then will figure what's wrong if that doesn't work.

purpletang1

There is no LFS around where I can get RO water. I used to live near ***** where I bought my water and never had this issue but I no longer live close enough. The fish is laying on the bottom because it is a goby and thats what he does. I would use RO water if I could, but thats not an option

kingsmith

Originally Posted by PurpleTang1
http:///forum/post/2796148
There is no LFS around where I can get RO water. I used to live near ***** where I bought my water and never had this issue but I no longer live close enough. The fish is laying on the bottom because it is a goby and thats what he does. I would use RO water if I could, but thats not an option
TRY A WALMART THE ONE NEAR ME SELLS ro FOR PRETTY CHEAP

barchtruong

until you switch over to RO/DI, your tank will go throu this cloudiness and green/brown algae build up for a long time, because tap water contains alot of celica that feeds brown/green algae. Not only that, tap water will do serious damage to any of your saltwater livestock. So, either go to Walmart and buy the water, or order the RO filter and do it at home.

mch2o

Originally Posted by barchtruong
http:///forum/post/2796483
until you switch over to RO/DI, your tank will go throu this cloudiness and green/brown algae build up for a long time, because tap water contains alot of celica that feeds brown/green algae. Not only that, tap water will do serious damage to any of your saltwater livestock. So, either go to Walmart and buy the water, or order the RO filter and do it at home.
+ 1 to that.
Also if you want to go sump witch I think most of us here would say it would be a good idea for you to with. You will need for a 90 gallon at least like a 30 gallon long sump or more. Bigger is better. When you figure out the size and the sump you can afford to buy after the RO unit or the WALmart water .
Let us know and we will help you build it.

Man there is no sense in you doing this to yourself
. With SW it's ment to be fun

bravanc

i've had a 55 with a marineland 350 and two MJ power heads. Make sure you put the extension for the intake to the filter and have it get the water as close to the bottom as you can so that you don't pickup any sand. Aim your Powerheads towards the middle or up so that you are not blowing the sand around and clean your filter and reuse them until you get most of the cloudiness gone then replace the filters with new. you should have it cleared up in no time. When time and funds permit then go with the sump. research alot and look through this site and others. There is plenty of good info. Good luck

purpletang1

So if I go to walmart and get the RO water, how much of a water change should I do in order to get some of the tap water out?

frogdog

Originally Posted by barchtruong
http:///forum/post/2796483
+1
first thing I bought when i started the hobby. A coralife RO unit.