Need ID Caulerpa?

nate213

Can someone ID this? It has been growing fairly quick and Im afraid it is caulerpa. I think it came in with a Zoa frag a few months back.

yes it is calerpa for sure,just pull it out but be carefull so you dont pull off the corals,if you do catch them and glue to a rock

spanko

I am sorry to see you have this in your display as it is very hard to get rid of and very invasive.
Looks like you have (Caulerpa Sertulariodes F. Farlowii).
Here is a picture of some for you to compare.(from live plants)

jackri

And yet people put this in their tanks as macro algae on purpose (not accusing you).
Once they find out how invasive and how hard it is to get rid of I'd be they would change their mind.. and I hope this thread helps...
Good luck getting rid of it!

pezenfuego

Originally Posted by jackri
http:///forum/post/3038478
And yet people put this in their tanks as macro algae on purpose (not accusing you).
Once they find out how invasive and how hard it is to get rid of I'd be they would change their mind.. and I hope this thread helps...
Good luck getting rid of it!
It is okay in the refugium and some like it for the way it looks

nate213

Thanks Spanko - that looks like the stuff.
I pulled out 80% or more. I had to remove the whole rock and pick at it for over an hour. Im going to monitor very closely over the next couple of weeks and try to get out the rest.

pezenfuego

Caulerpa uses rhizomes to plant itself to the rock. Any small piece of caulerpa left on the rock can grow into a new stock of caulerpa. Watch this closely.