need ID on fish

salt210

I think that I am posting this in the right section.
I was watching Bite Me with Dr. Mike and in the last 2mins I think on the Coastal Australia episode I saw a flat black colored tang. there was no other color on the fish except for the scalpel on the tail section. sorry no pics. does anyone have any idea as to what fish I am referring?

spanko

From godscreationsunderthesea
"RARE BLACK TANG! $415.00
Black Longnose Tang - Zebrasoma rostratum Also known as: Black Longnose Sailfin Maximum Size: the Zebrasoma rostratum grows up to 10 inches. General Size Specifications: The small size will come to you generally 1½ to 2½ inches; the medium generally 2½ to 3½ inches; the large generally 3½ to 6 inches; the XL generally 6 to 8 inches. Minimum Tank Size: The Black Longnose Tang prefers a tank of at least 100 gallons with plenty of places to hide & swim. Diet: The Zebrasoma rostratum is a herbivore and likes to eat marine algae, zucchini, brocoli, mysid shrimp, Spirulina, lettus, seaweed, sponges, and other meaty treats. Level of Care: The Black Longnose Tang is a medium maintenance fish. Behavior: The Black Longnose Tang may act aggressively toward other fish. Compatibility: It doesn't get along with other tangs. Better to acclimate last into larger groups. Water Conditions: Keep water quality high (SG 1.020 - 1.025, pH 8.1 - 8.4, Temp. 72 - 78° F). Range: Christmas Island. General Notes: Filters pose a threat to the planktonic offspring. Zebrasoma rostratum (Gunther 1875), the Black Longnose Sailfin Tang. In many ways, just a darker, longer-snouted version of Zebrasoma scopas or flavescens (rostrum up to 30% of body length). Likewise a hardy, undemanding aquarium specimen."
Usually in $500+ range

salt210

thats not the one. it did not have a nose like that. I have to get ready for work, but when I get back Ill look the show up again and see if I can find another tang that has a similar body shape to it.

aquaknight

Originally Posted by salt210
http:///forum/post/3099254
it might have been this one
http://www.ehow.com/video_2355570_id...tang-fish.html

Originally Posted by nissan577

http:///forum/post/3099257
this one?

Unfortunately it can't be an Atlantic Blue Tang, as those are found exclusively in the tropical parts of the Atlantic.
While knowing it was filmed off Australia helps, unfortunately many, many tangs look solid black/really dark in the wild.
Salt, could you narrow the family of tang down? Naso
(Naso, Vlaminigii), Zebrasoma
(Yellow, Purple), or Acanthurus
(Sohal, Atlantic Blue, Achilles, Dussumieri). Worry more about the body and tail shapes, then colors.

salt210

they didnt say anything about it. it was swimming in one of the last few scenes that they showed in that episode. If I remember correctly there was 2 of them together

kjr_trig

Thats pretty cool that you can do that!
Tough one there...I'm going with adult Acanthurus thompsoni for lack of anything better. Going more off of shape and geoghraphy. They are definately found in Australia and the Cook Islands, some are darker than others, and they lose the light tails as adults.

aquaknight

Gotta love Brighthouse! (Err.... maybe not )...
I really don't think we're ever going to be happy with an ID, I really think they are in their nighttime/unhappy/pissed off coloration. You can kind of see some yellow eye-stripes on the one in the second pic. Also, they have relatively flat tail. A Thompsoni has more like a Sohal tang tail, very crescent shaped. Additional, Thompson's are only found in Hawaii without a white tail.
Based on that, and the location, I am going to throw one up and say, it's either an Acanthurus Mata (leaning towards), or Acanthurus xanthopterus
, that's really pissed off...

salt210

that'll have to do. not wanting them, just got curious when watching the show since I hadnt seen them in the hobby before. at least not that I remember.

salt210

I would have to lean towards the first suggestion there aqua. just because I do see that yellow that you pointed out.