need id on red snail type thing

terrance

I got a yellow gorgonian and this was on it for a while, then it moved onto my glass. It looks like a piece of red kelp. Its a type of snail i guess, hope my pictures arent too blurry. Any ideas, is it safe?

gregm779

Certain snails only eat gorgonia in the wild. Once they eat all of your gorgonia then they die (unless you put more in for them to eat). It is different then the ones that we have in Florida but I would get rid of it or watch it carefully.

ophiura

Looks like some relative of a Cyphoma (which is like the "flamingo toungue" snail). I do believe they are predators of gorgonians. Their shape on often their color enable them to blend in well on the gorgonian.

schneidts

Can you see its eyes? If they are raised from the skin, it's a snail. If they're embedded in the skin, it's a nudibranch, well, probably an opisthobranch, actually. Either way, both contain poisonous chemicals...

schneidts

Duh...I can see in your great pic that the eyes are raised...sorry about that (long day at work). I think it's an Ovulid, which is a snail that usually carries toxins as its defense mechanism. Very cool find. How long have you had the Gorgonian, and where did it come from?

nm reef

Very interesting... and great photography.:yes:
Nothing to add except I think this is a prime example of how two hobbys combine in a really benefical manner.Without the pic it'd be very difficult to get a decent id.....
:thinking:

ophiura

It has a shell. Definitely an ovulid, down to being on a gorgonian (natural diet). Thanks NM Reef :) And good call too by schneidts for remembering the name "ovulid" snail. I could only come up with searching by its relative, the flamingo tongue (Cyphoma). Couldn't remember ovulid!