Water parameters
Ammonia-0
Trates-10
Trites-0
pH-8.2
Salinity-1.026
Temp-80
65gal
I have 3 perculas in the tank (only fish). 2 of them that I bought at the same LFS are developing what I think is Brooklynella and haven't eaten since I got them on Monday. The other seems stressed and his been nipped at(he's been eating). I haven't witnessed them picking at him but his fins have some indentations. I'm going to Walmart right now following TheGrog's instructions for a 10 gal QT. Grog-"A simple 10 gallon tank (like $8), a HOT filter, small heater, air pump and a sponge filter is all you need. Put some PVC in there for structure, paint or cover the bottom (fish don't like the clear/reflective bottom, stressful) and you have a QT/hospital tank! Total cost around $35." Any other suggestions on what I should get? Obviously, I don't have time to cycle the tank so I'm gonna take a piece of LR and a cup of LS from my DT and purchase some Amquel hopefully at Walmart if not tomorrow at the LFS. After that, what's my next move?
These are my first fish and they're not dying under my watch. Need help....

hot883

Originally Posted by 0verfl0w
Water parameters
Ammonia-0
Trates-10
Trites-0
pH-8.2
Salinity-1.026
Temp-80
65gal
I have 3 perculas in the tank (only fish). 2 of them that I bought at the same LFS are developing what I think is Brooklynella and haven't eaten since I got them on Monday. The other seems stressed and his been nipped at(he's been eating). I haven't witnessed them picking at him but his fins have some indentions. I'm going to Walmart right now following TheGrog's instructions for a 10 gal QT. Grog-"A simple 10 gallon tank (like $8), a HOT filter, small heater, air pump and a sponge filter is all you need. Put some PVC in there for structure, paint or cover the bottom (fish don't like the clear/reflective bottom, stressful) and you have a QT/hospital tank! Total cost around $35." Any other suggestions on what I should get? Obviously, I don't have time to cycle the tank so I'm gonna take a piece of LR and a cup of LS from my DT and purchase some Amquel hopefully at Walmart if not tomorrow at the LFS. After that, what's my next move?
These are my first fish and they're not dying under my watch. Need help....
3 in the same tank is not a good idea anyway. 2 yes, not 3. 2 will pair up and constantly pick on the 3rd till it dies. But definately they need to go in a qt. Since it is not cycled, you will have to constantly monitor water quality. If you treat with any chemicals then the ls and lr needs to come out. qt's are normally set up with no sand or rock and a couple of pvc pipe pieces for the fish to hide in.

0verfl0w

I've been feeding them Ocean Nutritions Formula 2 pellets and frozen brine shrimp with Caulerpa algae. Fish started developing white glaze since yesterday. I did a fresh water dip(3-4 minutes) to 2 of them at the same temp but unfortunately not at matching pH. I also have about 20 turbos, 3 emeralds, cleaner shrimp, and 14 bluelegs. Tanks has been up 1 month and has had 0 ammonia and nitrite readings for 2 weeks. Let me know if you need additional info to help.

0verfl0w

Originally Posted by hot883
3 in the same tank is not a good idea anyway. 2 yes, not 3. 2 will pair up and constantly pick on the 3rd till it dies. But definately they need to go in a qt. Since it is not cycled, you will have to constantly monitor water quality. If you treat with any chemicals then the ls and lr needs to come out. qt's are normally set up with no sand or rock and a couple of pvc pipe pieces for the fish to hide in.
I was told to add 2 since there was one in there already to avoid any picking on. Great advice...
I read the LS and LR would help to keep up the water quality. I guess since I'm carrying my dentrifying bacteria in there. Is that wrong?

hot883

I may be wrong, but if you treat the fish with medications then you don't want the lr in there. I know thats a SURE with copper, just not sure with other meds.

0verfl0w

Originally Posted by hot883
I may be wrong, but if you treat the fish with medications then you don't want the lr in there. I know thats a SURE with copper, just not sure with other meds.
Yeah, that i understood. I'm willing to lose the LR for the sake of the fish.

0verfl0w

Well one of my clowns passed this morning....I took him out and did the flush thing. I also noticed these little bug looking things hanging out in the corner of tank. They look like a pair of green eyes with a little red tail. i can't get a pic of them...too small. Could they be associated to what's going on with my clowns? Any ideas....

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Did you look at the pictures of clowns with brook in the Diseased Fish thread? The treatment for brook in formalin bathes, and the procedure is described in the FAQ Thread at the top of this forum.

0verfl0w

Yes I did. It looks to me like Brook and the fact that one passed 2 days after developing the white slime all but guarantees that is what it was. Wierd thing is, one of them has no sign of it and the other has some white blotches on him. I bought a 10 gal yesterday at Walmart late night but their selection was limited so I wasn't able to QT them yet. I'm going to the LFS to pick up some formalin and garlic stuff. What other meds do you suggest I give them? Beth, any ideas on the little green critters that appeared this morning? I can't get a pic but they are just a pair of green semi metallic eyes with curled red tail tail (scorpion like looking).

0verfl0w

Brook was out of hand and I lost all 3 of them. Last one was yesterday around 8pm. What now? How long should I leave my tank running without fish? I've read about ICH and the 4 weeks. Will the brook die in the same time span?

mimzy

Hey Overflow - I don't know much about diseases so I really can't help here, just wanted to say I'm sorry for your losses. It's obvious that you put a lot of time and effort into starting your tank, and you really did all you could.
Sometimes crap happens. Please don't be discouraged - start again. Find a reputable LFS, get some healthy fish, QT them before adding them to your display, and keep on trucking. It will reward you a thousand times over once you get it going.
Kudos to you again for researching and taking your time!

0verfl0w

Originally Posted by Mimzy
Hey Overflow - I don't know much about diseases so I really can't help here, just wanted to say I'm sorry for your losses. It's obvious that you put a lot of time and effort into starting your tank, and you really did all you could.
Sometimes crap happens. Please don't be discouraged - start again. Find a reputable LFS, get some healthy fish, QT them before adding them to your display, and keep on trucking. It will reward you a thousand times over once you get it going.
Kudos to you again for researching and taking your time!
Thanks Mimzy. I'm definately not giving up altough I must say I have questioned why the hell I got into this....lol. You're right, I have done a lot of research so I'm quite dissapointed with my losses and the LFSs failure to maintain healthy fish. On the other hand, I'm very new at this and can't totally blame them because I'm not sure if I might have done something wrong that I haven't discovered yet. All I can do is keep reading and learning until I get it right. Hopefully, not at the expense of anymore fish.