Need input on sump/fuge design

dsmattice

So, are you saying I should go 12x12 or larger? And what do you mean by SS? I'm guessing sump/skimmer...
Do you think I should start looking at a larger overflow when it comes time to upgrade the pump?

turningtim

SS "Super skimmer" footprint is 12 x 12 w/pump?
600 gph is getting less then 4x turnover on the 125, when the time comes a 1200 gph OF would be good.

dsmattice

In terms of layout...should the skimmer go into the intake section or the return section? There seems to be some debate on whether the water going to the fuge should be skimmed or not. As far as flow in my current setup, I'm going to have to make the best of what I've got to avoid divorce proceedings, ha, ha.
This may help us decide the best options:
History of current setup...
You gave advice on a previous thread when I got the 125 about 5 weeks ago. I got all of the above equipment and the tank for free, cannibalized my 5 year old FOWLR/LS 55 gallon, and 2 year old FOWLR/LS 29 gallon setups, kept the existing plenum, etc. I then added more LR, a larger clean up crew, the new skimmer, 3-175 Watt MH, 2-130 Watt PC actinics, etc. and Kent Marine 2 part alk/calcium additives.
This both drained my hobby finances and forced my patience in getting where I want to go....ha, ha.
Goal for tank:
I want to have a reef setup, allowing my tank to mature and getting my levels consistent. I want to have a setup that will allow me the flexibility to start slow and grow into the hobby. In short, I want to plan the sump/fuge, etc. now for whatever equipment needs I may have later.
Sorry for being such a newbie when it comes to the reef tank, I greatly appreciate your help and the information on these forums!!!

turningtim

So the skimmer takes up 12" and then you'll need 3 baffles - 2" so there another 6"+ and the return pump needs about 6". So the fuge is going to be about 20-24". Right?
To each their own Coach, I'm sure they would both be effective.......

coachklm

i just found the drawing on bottom and i like it almost as much as the video one.... so i dont know wich to set up now? ...lol i have the 40breeder so it would make a great display refugium and the stand for them is unfinished so my heads spinning with ideas..

turningtim

The only thing I see, is that the skimmer out should go back to the drain side or you will have to drain 1800 gph just to keep up with the skimmer input. Then you're going to dump that much flow in the fuge? Also you would need a larger return for that kind of flow......
See what I mean or am I missing somerthing?

coachklm

once the tank gets here ill do a walkthrough thread to include plumbing flow rates and i'll let you do the calculations.. i'll do construction and we both get to answer questions. ohh i'll be sure to post a picture of progress per day. minus a few day for drying.. i guess we can do stand cunstruction also if you have any knowledge of that... i only have the basics on wood knowledge.. i guess (hope) the tanks get here next teusday.

and <end thread hijack>

dsmattice

Tim
I had originally figured around 22 inches so I think you are right on the money. Should I go 24 to plan on future pump upgrade?
Also, what about the baffle and fuge wall size and placement? I've read some of your other posts and think I know roughly where to put them. I didn't account for the volume taken up by the SS and pump though.

turningtim

The fuge wall should be about 2" from the top. then take 48"-22"= 26" sump. Calc the volume needed for the backwash from the MT. So 26" x 12" x Y = MT backwash. Then subtract Y from the tank height.
Tim

coachklm

Originally Posted by TurningTim
Thanks cool! I'm a bit ahead of you, got my stand framing done and moving on to the faceing.......
well i did my stand framing before I left so....

but i dont think it will fit through my doors now...

coachklm

unfortubnately........the movers (i just got my goods yesterday) they broke my 40 breeder i was going to use so i may have to put it on hold till i can get a new one

my 135g made it fine but they broke:
my wifes china
the china cabinet
our couch
our bedroom set(california king) sleigh bed
the 40br tank
a blender
a bread machine
our entertainment center
and our washing machine....
good thing we have 40,000 in insurance coverage for broken items...

sula

Originally Posted by coachKLM
unfortubnately........the movers (i just got my goods yesterday) they broke my 40 breeder i was going to use so i may have to put it on hold till i can get a new one

my wifes china
the china cabinet
our couch
the 40br tank
a blender
a bread machine
our entertainment center

:scared:
Were they in some kind of mover demolition derby? Sheesh!

maxsmart

Originally Posted by coachKLM

my wifes china
the china cabinet
our couch
the 40br tank
a blender
a bread machine
our entertainment center

"Where are those 3 movers I hired?" <crash> <slap> "You numbskull!" <conk> "Woo woo woo woo woo!"