Need Much Help and Suggestions

fishyfrenzy

Okay, So I'm planning on setting up a 29 gallon tank, and while I know a lot about saltwater tanks I'm needing help.
This is my first saltwater tank, and I want to start it off right, the right way.
I'm planning on building my way up to a full blown reef, but for now I'm looking for a clean up crew.
I don't really like how turbo snails look, so Is there any way there is another type of snail that can clean up a tank as well or better than ther turbo?
I'm not too much attracted to the emerald crab either though, as a matter of fact I don't like many crabs at all, If any at all.
So, this sort of puts me at a disadvantage because I don't really like the looks of the main parts of the clean up crew, but, If they provide benefits then I will compromise and get a few.
Okay, I'm done with my ranting, So now please help me.

Thanks In advance

dinogeorge

How about using Nassarius Snails instead? Mine stay under the sand during the day and then come out at night to clean up the tank. Chances are, you won't see them. Think of them as the night crew janitors.
How about a Sally Lightfoot crab? I know you don't like crabs but these guys scuttle around your tank at mach 3, "this means really fast", and don't really bother much. They are kind of cool and eat just as much algae as the emeralds I think.
Don't get discouraged. There are sooooo many cool inverts and small fish you can add. You'll find something you like. Just make sure and keep posting your questions here. There are so many people who are glad to help you.
Good luck my friend.

earlybird

I had a mexican turbo that was pretty big and he cleaned better than my 7 astraea snails combined. I have a 29 and have had larger numbers but my clean up crew now consists of 7 astraea snails, 10 nassarius snails, and 12 assorted hermits. I don't have any algae and I believe that's the reason for my numbers decreasing along with my hermits killing them.
My wife didn't like the snails either but they grew on her. She now likes to inspect them when they clean the glass.

fishyfrenzy

Originally Posted by earlybird
I had a mexican turbo that was pretty big and he cleaned better than my 7 astraea snails combined. I have a 29 and have had larger numbers but my clean up crew now consists of 7 astraea snails, 10 nassarius snails, and 12 assorted hermits. I don't have any algae and I believe that's the reason for my numbers decreasing along with my hermits killing them.
My wife didn't like the snails either but they grew on her. She now likes to inspect them when they clean the glass.
How about the Mouse Cowrie?

fishyfrenzy

They are on this website, maybe when I wanted to buy something else I could get it, ya know?
If i did want to get one, what would be the benefits that they mprovde to the tank, are they good detritus eaters or w/e?
What types of algae would they get rid of?
thanks in advance

1journeyman

The key to a good clean up crew is variety.
For instance, Nass. snails are great for eating detritus and leftover food. The are lackluster at controlling algae. Turbos are great at algae control, but can turn over and get stuck and die. Nass. snails can turn themselves over if they fall. Cerith snails are small and control algae well.
As for crabs, I'm not a huge fan either. Hermits can kill snails for their shells. Sally Lightfoots get big and are known predators on fish, etc. Emeralds will remain hidden for the most part, and I do believe they do a good job at cleaining certain types of algae.
I would say, go with an Emerald or 2, a couple of turbos, and a couple of Nass (provided you have sand). Go with a few Ceriths as well.
The thing to remember is you won't see them that often. My Ceriths climb the glass only at night, Nass come out during feeding, crabs hide (except for the coupel fo small hermits I have), etc.
The most overlooked cleanup crew are the micro critters, worms (Bristle Worms included), pods, etc. Properly stocking your tank with quality live sand and live rock while avoiding predators on these critters will also greatly aid in keeping your tank looking good.

earlybird

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
The most overlooked cleanup crew are the micro critters, worms (Bristle Worms included), pods, etc. Properly stocking your tank with quality live sand and live rock while avoiding predators on these critters will also greatly aid in keeping your tank looking good.
Well stated.

mcbdz

Also remember in time your snails and crabs get the coraline algea on them and just blind in with the lr.

symon

weather you like the look of these critters or not, the differant types of hermits , snails ect have differant advantages. So i guess that's the real point, diversity is the key that goes for you fish too! Once you have the proper balance with your critters your tank will almost take care of itself, ofcourse you can never get away from water changes and testing!