need new lighting suggestions

lradlbeck

2) 65 watt SmartPaq Dual Daylight 10000K and Dual Actinic 460nm together and it has 2 lunar lights - 48" long
anyone tell me if this is a good light for a 55 gallon tank I have fish, about 100 pounds of live rock, and want more soft corals?
Here is the rest of the info...
Current USA Satellite
Power Compact Fixture w/ Lunar-Moon Lights
At Aquacon.com we highly recommend the Current USA Satellites. When compared to other lights with the same wattage the Satellite is considerably brighter (as are the Current USA Orbit and SunPaq retrofit). Additionally, the unique Dual Daylight, Dual Actinic and SunPaq Compact Fluorescent bulbs and Lunar-Moon Light(s) (for night lighting) provide the perfect color spectrums for reef systems 24 hours a day. The Single Satellite is shown in the picture on the right. For a picture of the Dual Satellite Click Here
Features:
LAMPS: Satellite Singles come with SmartPaq Lamps (10,000K/460nm Actinics).
Satellite Duals come with Dual Actinic (420nm/460nm) and Dual Daylight (6,700K/10,000K) bulbs. Please see the individual light listing below for the wattage and number of bulbs with each fixture.
LUNAR LIGHTS: All Satellites come with either one or two lunar lights. Please see the individual light listing below for the wattage and number of bulbs with each fixture.
FANS & DAWN/DUSK CONTROL: Satellite Dual fixtures come with a fan and two switches for dawn/dusk control. Satellite Singles do not come with a fan and have only one switch.

surfer 2

Are you sure that they are 2 x 65 ? If so then that only gives you 2.36 watts per gallon for your 55. I guesse it could be enough depending on what you are keeping in the tank,, reef tank or fowler ?
Most reef tanks require a minimum of 4 watts per gallon,, hope this helps,, all you have to do is add up your total watts of light and devide by your gallons..

coopersx

I think Current USA has a good off the shelf product for the price. I believe they have what they call the Outer Orbit which includes one or two metal halides (with electronic ballasts) as well as the power compacts that you mention. This is what you will need to get the wattage up for a reasonable off the shelf price. Moving things to the top of the tank with the setup you mentioned may help....10" from the light. You may also bump that model up to 2 96 watt power compacts??? I am unsure. DYI kits are probably the way to go when it comes to expesive lighting. Go with Ice Cap products if you build your own. They are the best available.
Take Care, Wayne

lradlbeck

Wayne -
Thanks! I will have to do some more research it sounds - DIY sounds a little scary - not sure how confident I am in my electrical capabilities.
Thanks for your help!!
Liz

kdfrosty

I would say that for lights to do any good on your tank you should go with a minimum 55wx4 fixture. This means that you will have 220w total using 4 bulbs. This will allow you to keep soft corals (zoos, shrooms, most leathers).

J

jdragunas

Right now, for my 55 gal, i'm bidding on a 4x65W power compact lighting hood on that great bidding store online... It looks like a really good setup. It's a Jebo Oddyssea. It's got 4 lunar lights, (2) 12,000 K bulbs, and 2 Atcinic 03 bulbs. That'll give ya 4.727, but of course with the lights going through glass and whatnot, it'll be around 4 watts per gallon. That's a good setup if you want any kind of inverts with high lighting needs, and it's pretty inexpensive compared to metal halide lights.