Need non-fish help from women....

R

rolltide

I had no say in the ring I got. My husband suprised me with it and that was special because I knew he picked it out on his own. I only now wish that it was platinum instead of yellow gold, but I think the platinum thing may just be a fad and gold will always come back. I've had my ring for 8 years so maybe soon it will be back in style. As long as it's from you and with love she won't care.

wrassecal

I worked in a jewelry store for 5 years. Yes, always use the little loup to look at the stone. Yes, if you live in a big city pawn shops are an awesome place to buy great stones for 1/2 the money. (mine came from a pawn shop and I worked in a jewelry store) Look for the c's color, cut, clarity and cost! Take it out of the jewelry store lighting and look at it in regular light, they all look beautiful in the store. You are not buying for resale so as far as color goes get what you like if the price is right. (stay away from brownish color,lots of black carbon dots and lots of white milky look) all will have a little of this stuff. If you like a lot of sparkle then round has most facets and sparkles the most. Oval looks biggest because of large surface, Marquis should not be too skinny, Hearts are not natural cuts and could have problems later, emerald, square etc have least facets and least shine. I sure wish I knew as much about sw fish/reef as I do about diamonds!!!!! Good Luck! :) :) :)

S

sinner's girl

DAB? "Hearts are not natural cuts and could have problems later." what problems are you talking about? Mine is a heart, i'm just wondering if i need to expect a problem later in life.
thanks.
oh, and i'd stay away from pond shops, i know i wouldn't want a ring that someone else wore. but that's me.

wrassecal

hearts could and I'm not saying would, but could crack because they are usually made from a rough diamond that would have lent itself to being cut into a round but possible had a "fault" line that allowed the heart cut. Remember the diamonds we wear have been cut from a chumk so to speak. As far as pawn shops go, it's the diamond I'm talking about, not the ring and don't think that retail jewelry shops are not recycling diamonds. You might have noticed a lot of the big chains have "trade up" policies. Those diamonds get reset and resold. sometimes wholesale, sometimes retail. The diamond can always be taken to a reputable jeweler and set into the ring of choice, that's what I did. Total cost ended up about half of what I would have paid (even with employee discount)at retail store. Do not worry about your heart shape, always have a jeweler check your prongs and your stones at least once a year and you'll be fine. :)

S

sinner's girl

DAB, thanks! My guy would cry if it cracked, he spend way too many hours, days, months looking for that diamond. I knew to have the prongs and stones checked, good adivce, my mom lost a few bagettet (sp) from her ring...as far as getting the diamond from a pond shop that's cool, i thought you meant the actual ring.
oh, and sorry to who made the orginal post, didn't mean to change the subject...
(P.S. - Thanks sharks for not delated this off-topic post. Ya'll are cool)