Need opinions on my 1st setup

keith_cook

Finally getting around to getting this thing up and running after about 4 months of study. Tank is a 58 Oceanic. I have a 4" DSB in it right now. No water yet, that will be this Friday. I have an Aqua c Remora Pro skimmer, Salifert Nitrogen cycle test kit, 2 Hagan 402 PH's, I have a Pro Heat II Titanium Heaterw/ digital thermometer, I will be ordering 60 lbs of live rock Friday(payday) :) . Lighting is the stock 30 watt NO florescent that came with the tank. I plan on keeping a antennata, radiata, or zebra lion (haven't decided on which one yet) Valentini puffer, Flame Hawk, and probably an eel Snowflake or Chainlink, again undecided on which of the 2 I want.
Does this setup sound ok to everyone? I was considering adding a powerfilter, biowheel of some type or a fluval canister. Should I Spend the money on one? Any ideas or opinions to make my setup better? I am all ears. I really value the opinions of the people on this board. Sorry for the long post . Thanks in advance.
Keith

tru conch

keith, it sounds like you are off to a good start.
imo though, if you plan to have a puffer/lion/eel in a 58 gal, i would look into some extra filtration besides the DSB and lr. all three of those fish/organisms are carnivores and messy eaters, which means the bioload is going to be heavy.
now its up to you to deciede on what route of filtration you want. as you know there are several kinds for example:
refuguim
sump
canister
power filter/biowheel.
its really a matter of personal preference, some people swear by the canister filters.
power filters are good for smaller tanks, but yours is border line,
sumps are good, but can cost alot (unless you build it yourself)
same with refuguims
i hth, and good luck with the setup.
ps do some searches in some of the other forums, you might find some older posts with more information on the different kinds of filtration to give you a better idea on what you need.

keith_cook

Thanks for the replies. I kinda thought my bio load would be pushing it, I might consider ditching the eel and going with a pygmy angelfish of some sort. Do I have enough water circulation? The PH's I have are rated at 270 Gal/hour. Didn't know if this was enough, should I add 1 more just to be safe? Thanks for the suggestions it is very appreciated.

hearn

keith, listen to them on the type of fish you want, I started a 75g with cc(going to dsb pretty soon) I worked up to a eel,lion, and a puffer, ended up losing control of the tank. i'm down to my eel. I learned a lesson the hard way. The thought of I Can Handle It, cost me alot. go ahead and ask alot of questions, the people on here are great, and alot of help. Not only to you, but to other newbies like me.

jake22

I think the pygmy angel might get eaten depending on how big your eel and lion fish will be. Lion fish usaully have huge mouths.