Need opinions on the best test kits

cryptics

I have come to realize that some brands of test kits are great for certain tests but crap for others. What I need your help with is what to buy for each test. The tests i run now are
PH
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
Phosphate
Calcium
Magnesium
Alkalinity
I have API tests for PH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate and Phosphate and Elos tests for Ammonia, Magnesium, Calcium and Alkalinity. I also have a Salifert Magnesium test. I just want to make sure the results I am getting is the actual results. I know API is really bad for Nitrate and I get different results for the Ammonia for API and Elos. I don't mind mixing and matching between brands
Thanks in advance for your help

flower

Everyone recommended the API to me. When I use other kits or have a store check it..... my API tests were correct. I also bought a refractometer and it read the very same thing my hydrometer did. To be honest 0 is 0 in any test kit and when it comes to ammonia.....I want 0
The easiest to read test kits were the Oceanic. It has been so long, over a year.... I think that was the name. It had a clownfish on the package. That test kit had plastic translucent colored tiles that sat in a chamber right next to the tested water, it wouldn't matter if it were bright sunlight or regular room light, the chip and the test tube water matched to tell me what the result was. I got the API tests because I was told they were the best.
Someone kindly gave me a brand new set of API Master saltwater and Reef test kits, I trust the results. To my knowledge one person on this site had a wrong reading on the nitrates, I don't recall anyone else saying so.

flower

I just discovered this....There is nothing wrong with your API nitrate tests.
I was just reading my API test kit instructions...There is a note called Testing tips and it says the following: This test kit reads total nitrate (NO3) level in parts per million which are equivlant to miligrams per liter. (mg/L) from 0 ppm to 160 ppm,in saltwater aquariums. (other nitrate test kits that measure nitrate-nitrogin (NO3' N) will give readings 4.4 times LESS than this test kit.)

btldreef

If you look at what your higher end aquariums are using, they'll flat out tell you not to trust the API nitrate kit.
Here's the problem with the API nitrate kit (and the Salifert nitrate):
People get a high reading and panic. Start doing insane amounts of water changes, add a refugium, start running extra carbon, etc. Anything they can do to get the number down. Only to find out, the number was never truly dangerously high to begin with.
I do NOT recommend the API kit. There is a lot of user error with them as well.

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptics http:///forum/thread/386252/need-opinions-on-the-best-test-kits#post_3391489
I have come to realize that some brands of test kits are great for certain tests but crap for others. What I need your help with is what to buy for each test. The tests i run now are
PH probe ... the API does come close
Ammonia API
Nitrite
Nitrate SeaChem nitrite/nitrate combo test
Phosphate Salifert or Elos ... Nothing gets as close as a digital reader

Calcium Salifert or Elos

Magnesium Salifert or Elos

Alkalinity API is actually really accurate. Salifert and Elos are also good ones. SeaChem reads fairly accurate as well

I have API tests for PH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate and Phosphate and Elos tests for Ammonia, Magnesium, Calcium and Alkalinity. I also have a Salifert Magnesium test. I just want to make sure the results I am getting is the actual results. I know API is really bad for Nitrate and I get different results for the Ammonia for API and Elos. I don't mind mixing and matching between brands
Thanks in advance for your help

tangs rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLDreef http:///forum/thread/386252/need-opinions-on-the-best-test-kits#post_3391628
If you look at what your higher end aquariums are using, they'll flat out tell you not to trust the API nitrate kit.
Here's the problem with the API nitrate kit (and the Salifert nitrate):
People get a high reading and panic. Start doing insane amounts of water changes, add a refugium, start running extra carbon, etc. Anything they can do to get the number down. Only to find out, the number was never truly dangerously high to begin with.
I do NOT recommend the API kit. There is a lot of user error with them as well.
I have to agree here big time! I can run an API test for NO3 on my tank right now, and it'll read >30ppm. Retest it with the meter, and it's ~5ppm

flower

Alright...the words of wisdom prevail. I do find it interesting that API gives an explanation of why their tests run higher...folks must have complained to them.
I just ordered the Seachem multi tests marine basic, and the special reef. I already had the Seachem Magnisium.
My nitrates are reading 20 on the API kit and if the Seachem says under 5 ...You are going to see the happiest person on this sight.

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///forum/thread/386252/need-opinions-on-the-best-test-kits#post_3391652
Alright...the words of wisdom prevail. I do find it interesting that API gives an explanation of why their tests run higher...folks must have complained to them.
I just ordered the Seachem multi tests marine basic, and the special reef. I already had the Seachem Magnisium.
My nitrates are reading 20 on the API kit and if the Seachem says under 5 ...You are going to see the happiest person on this sight.
The SeaChem Nitrite/Nitrate combo comes with a tester, which is really nice, so you know if you're doing it right. I really like the combo kit, it reads almost dead on to probes. I don't know why more people don't use the SeaChem kit. I just got the Multi test, and need to start checking out the rest of their line against probes, I'll be interested to see how they read.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLDreef http:///forum/thread/386252/need-opinions-on-the-best-test-kits#post_3391659
The SeaChem Nitrite/Nitrate combo comes with a tester, which is really nice, so you know if you're doing it right. I really like the combo kit, it reads almost dead on to probes. I don't know why more people don't use the SeaChem kit. I just got the Multi test, and need to start checking out the rest of their line against probes, I'll be interested to see how they read.
What do you mean it comes with a tester? I've never heard of such a thing, can you explain?
I purchased the multi kit and the special reef....do they come with a "tester"

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///forum/thread/386252/need-opinions-on-the-best-test-kits#post_3391804
What do you mean it comes with a tester? I've never heard of such a thing, can you explain?
I purchased the multi kit and the special reef....do they come with a "tester"
It comes with a test vile of water that is meant to read a specific ppm when you test it. The vile will usually tell you what you should see. So you have a reference to go by and make sure you're doing the test properly. I'm not sure if the multi kit does, I haven't opened mine up yet.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLDreef http:///forum/thread/386252/need-opinions-on-the-best-test-kits#post_3391815
It comes with a test vile of water that is meant to read a specific ppm when you test it. The vile will usually tell you what you should see. So you have a reference to go by and make sure you're doing the test properly. I'm not sure if the multi kit does, I haven't opened mine up yet.
Well open it.....LOL...tell me what you think, I went on your recommendations

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///forum/thread/386252/need-opinions-on-the-best-test-kits#post_3391883
Well open it.....LOL...tell me what you think, I went on your recommendations
LOL, it looks like it's slightly different than just the Nitrate/Nitrite combo test. I'll test my water tomorrow and follow directions and see if they're the same, they might be, I'm too tired to do it now without messing something up. It comes with a reference test for ammonia and nitrate and alkalinity.

btldreef

Just compared directions, it's the same test that comes in the multi test pack as what comes in the Nitrate/Nitrite combo test kit.

flower

Well, I'm really sitting on the edge of my seat to see what my nitrates are according to that kit.