need or no need powerfilter

ironsnipes

i currently have a aquaclear110 previously the aquaclear500 w/ a cpr bakpac2(protien skimmer), a friend told me to ditch the aquaclear110, keep the protien skimmer and just run a couple powerheads, said my l.r and l.s are taking care of my biological needs. what are your thoughts?

ironsnipes

what about the power filter? should i move it out and go with more power heads? i am currently turning over about 12x my water, if i move the powerfilter out with i have enough biological media?

rbaldino

Powerfilters are good for increasing flow and giving you a place to run various filter media when needed. It certainly won't do any harm if properly maintained.

sepulatian

The filter has pads in it to remove larger debris. How deep is your sand bed? Do you have a refuge? What sort of cleanup crew do you have? Your friend is correct that you can create a system that does not need filters on it. That takes several years, a deep sand bed that is loaded with detrivores, and a refuge.

ironsnipes

well i went ahead and took out the aquaclear110, and put in 2 more maxijet900's and a lifetech1500 powerheads checked hydro.024, nitrite0,nitrates0,ammonia0,ph8.3/alk2.2, and calcium825. all test are perfect,except calcium. use RO for water changes, added purple up about a week ago to get coraline going faster. since adding purple up calcium has stayed high! did 2 5gal water changes on 55gal in1 week calcium levels are off the chart still? anyone know if this is good or bad, or how to bring it down a little?