need plumbing ideas

bill109

hey everyone
so i want some ideas..
i want to plumb my 90 gallon reef tank with my little frag tank. they sit right next to each other. the HOB filter did not work so well. my aqua clear died out on my in 2 weeks..

so how do i do this? can i buy 2 identical powerheads/pumps and just put them in the 2 tanks? i know its an eye sore so i came here to get some ideas.
any input you could give me would be great!
-bill

2quills

You should be able to plumb a simple overflow by instaling a bulk head in your frag tank, then run your drain line from that and "T" it into your main overflow/drain line on the 90G. And then do the same thing on the return, just "T" a second return line off of your main return. This line should probably be smaller in diameter and make sure that you install a ball valve on it so that you can adjust/control the amount of flow. Since the frag tank is so small I don't see much need for a second return pump as long as you can spare a few gph on the one you already have.

bill109

that seems simple.
now when i install the bulk head. should it be att the top of the bottom of the frag tannk?
with the bulkhead leaving a hole in the side wall of the tank will it maintain the water level there?
for example, if i install the bulkhead to low, will it not let me raise the water level high enough and past the bulkhead?
i was planing on just installing it in the side of the tank, let gravity feed the water to my sump, and then using a T off of my main return, or use an old pump and throw it in the sump.??
thanks again!

acrylic51

Originally Posted by 2Quills
http:///forum/post/3267179
You should be able to plumb a simple overflow by instaling a bulk head in your frag tank, then run your drain line from that and "T" it into your main overflow/drain line on the 90G. And then do the same thing on the return, just "T" a second return line off of your main return. This line should probably be smaller in diameter and make sure that you install a ball valve on it so that you can adjust/control the amount of flow. Since the frag tank is so small I don't see much need for a second return pump as long as you can spare a few gph on the one you already have.
I agree with the simple installation of the bulkhead for the overflow, but why not just take it straight from the bulkhead and dump it to your sump under the 90?? Why bother cutting apart a perfectly good line when you could just run it straight to the sump. I also agree with splitting your line on the return pump, but unsure of what pump your using as a return on your 90, but why not split it right at the return pump by building a manifold?