Need Quick Help...

edpete97

I have in the tank a Koran Angel. I just added a copper banded butterfly and the angel is harassing the crap out of the butterfly. Should I allow this to continue or intervene. I have a 90Gal with plenty of rockwork. Should I separate them immediately or will this cease?

mtennant

Yea now I would try to stop it some how.... I had a cage the new ones in to see if there going to be a fight befor I let him go into my DT tank.. I have like 5 tangs that would do the same thing like whats going on with your Angel. Good luck with that.... But try stop it now if its been over an hour.

nicetry

Originally Posted by edpete97
I have in the tank a Koran Angel. I just added a copper banded butterfly and the angel is harassing the crap out of the butterfly. Should I allow this to continue or intervene. I have a 90Gal with plenty of rockwork. Should I separate them immediately or will this cease?
Copperbands are pretty fragile fish, and no match for a pushy angel. My sense is that aggression might let up but not stop completely. Big angels dominate tanks and butterflies are good targets due to shape/size. You can rearrange the rock to see if that throws off the territory. You could remove the angel for a few days and allow the butterfly to settle in, or simply remove one of them. Large angels I've kept seem to pick on bf's, even if it's an occassional charge or chase. Some bf's are more rough and tumble and stand up well to this, but a copperband is not a sturdy fish to begin with. How large is the angel, btw. It will eventuallly need a tank twice the size of it's present digs.

edpete97

They are both about 4 inches. The aggression has let up quite a bit but the bf is not eating. I've tried algae pellets, Thera A+A, Cyclopes, and Krill with no success. Any suggestions? It's now been 5 days.

nicetry

One of the problems with copperbands is getting them to eat well, if at all. You can purcahse some fresh mussels or clams at a grocer or fish market. Crack one open and drop it in the tank. This might work to entice the bf to eat, although the angel is going to out gun the bf. The angel has established dominance but it may have been at the butterfly's expense.