Need red or yellow reef safe fish

frankl15207

Originally posted by BCarp
I have a Red Coris Wrasse (Juv.) in my reef tank. One place tells me there reef safe and an another tells me there not. So which is it and why? Oherwise he is a colorful cool fish!

Closest reef safe reference that I can find in a book is the Golden Coris Wrasse (H. Chrysus) in Natural Reef Aquariums by John Tullock. The red coris wrasse (C. Gaimard) is not considered reef safe. Reference to not reef safe is as follows:
The Coris gaimard is a carnivore and likes to eat variety of chopped meats (flatworms, clam, crab, scallop, shrimp, squid, urchins). The Red Coris Wrasse, Juv is a medium maintenance fish and may act aggressively toward other fish. Not reef-safe. Provide sufficient sand to burrow.

B

bcarp

Thanks for the info!! I would like to take him back to the LFS, but he hardly ever comes out from his hiding place in the LR. I can never find him. He is small right now 2 to 3 inches. I will trade him in if I ever catch him!

razi burney

Yellow coris will get uptil 5" in size. They can often clean fish but nothing like cleaner wrasse, peppermint shrimp or the popular goby. Having sand is preferred as he will dig inside the sand if threatened. Can jump out of tank if scared, so watch out if you ever attempt to catch him. Catching him is difficult as he is a good swimmer and digs in sand if threatened. Will be fine in mid/fine substrate as well. Feed smaller amounts 2 times daily. He is a good hardy yellow reef safe fish and can live in a pair or a small group.

As far as the dwarf angels are concerned, I have had many and none of them have bothered anything...it's the large angels you need to worry about. If you're interested in yellow, there's the bicolor angel (purple and yellow). Flame angel is dazzling (orange/red and purple).

iechy

I'd go with a firefish. i got a purple one two days ago and he hid for the first day to the extent that I was looking on the floor to see if he jumped out. The next day he came out and slowly but surely is venturing out more and more to the other side of the tank.