Need some advise with lights & canopy.

mikester311

I would like to upgrade the lights on my 90 gal to some T5's so that I can start to add some polyps, corals, etc.. to my tank, but I'm not sure what kind of lights I can put inside my canopy. The top to the canopy has smoked glass and I'd rather not put the lights on top. I was looking at the Nova Extreme fixture with the 4-T5 bulbs and moon lights, but the manufacturer says not to put the fixture under the canopy, only on top.
I just looking for something easy that looks nice, and doesn't cost a fortune. Any suggestions?

I'm not sure about the t5 but i would get rid of the glass top because the light will lose some of the effects. Whats the Dim. on the tank. You do have something i have, "Child LOCK". i'm looking to setup a 200 gal. but looking for more light. I keep looking to see what people say.

mikester311

The length I have to work with under the canopy is around 49" or the outer edges of the tank. The canopy rests on each corner of the tank giving more side-to-side room.
Maybe I can rig something up with something reflective (if I can find it) and a piece of wood to sit under the glass hoods. I really wouldn't know how to fix the problem otherwise without replacing the canopy which I don't want to do.
I'm just thinking that there has to be a simple way to put some lights under the canopy without too many modifications to the canopy itself.
I have two small kids that love to get into every cabinet and droor they can reach, so I've had to put child locks everything. :)

H

hur

I have a exact same canopy and stand set, but it has wooden covers. I have a 55g tank which is also 4 feet wide. I have retrofitted 2x175 MH and 2x65 PC inside it. At first it was getting very hot 85+, so I installed two computer fans in the canopy and one fan blowing over the sump. Now my temperature is mostly less than 80.

Originally Posted by hur
I have a exact same canopy and stand set, but it has wooden covers. I have a 55g tank which is also 4 feet wide. I have retrofitted 2x175 MH and 2x65 PC inside it. At first it was getting very hot 85+, so I installed two computer fans in the canopy and one fan blowing over the sump. Now my temperature is mostly less than 80.

I have a 65 tall. How long are your PCs?

H

hur

Originally Posted by califishdude
I have a 65 tall. How long are your PCs?
califishdude,
It is made by current 21 inches.