75 gal reef
Emperor 400
Prizm Skimmer
2 MJ 600's with sure flow mod
Aquactinics Tx5
Misc snails, blue legged crabs
1 cleaner shrimp and 1 Peppermint shrimp
Gold stripe maroon, fox face, and blue hippo tang
various zoos, playa, crocea clam, frogspawn, torch, GSP, montipora, kenya tree. I think that's about it. And I run RO/DI water. Water check just reveled ph 8.3 and 0 ammonia, trite, trate. Cal. 425, Mag 1350, Alk 2.5. Temp 79, sal. 1.026
Well for the past few day's my water has been really cloudy. Today's water sample showed suspended particles that almost looks like small slivers of something. I am guessing that is my cloudiness but not sure what it even is or if that is the cloudiness. I have been running carbon for the past 2 days and no help. I just cleaned the skimmer really well and I'll see what that does.
However, my blue tub zoa are melting away, as are my pink playas which used to be the fastest growing. All other corals look fine except those. The blue Hippo as of yesterday looks like her eyes are clouding over and swollen, but eats like a pig and appears healthy other than the eyes. All other fish are fine.
The tank has been set up for 5+ years and all current inhabitants have been there for over a year. I don't know what could be going on but last week I did a water change and that's been the only recent change. I am alos noticing brown velvet looking algae covering the rocks. DOnt know if it is cyno or diatoms or if that could even be a factor. Could somebody please help me before it gets worse.
Thanks

scottallert

sorry to here that,
but idk what to do i would do another water change but idk maybe someone will help you out
good luck with your tank.

harris28

Originally Posted by socal57che
http:///forum/post/2808744
No caulerpa, right?
+1 to water changes and running carbon.
No caulerpa. But I did notice when the lights first come on that the water is clearer (still cloudy) than when the lights have been on for hours. Then at nights when its just actinics it starts to clear up.
So it appears that I have an algae problem. Could this be my lights are going out (t5 at 16 months) or could it be my filters in my RO unit are shot? Truthfully I have no idea how old they are but the flow is good and not restricted at all. Or I guess it can be a combination of both.
Oh yeah, my blue hippo's eyes cleared up to. That was wiered to have problem overnight and then clear up over night. So I will post my zoa question where it belongs.
Any ideas or fixes are appreciated.
Thanks