Need some brain storming.

flower

Hi,

I know the rule is to not mix the seahorse species because the bacteria on one, may not be immune to the bacteria of the other. I had Erectus horses in my 56g before they died when I flushed my Aquaripure line into the sump (hard lesson learned). I replaced the Erectus with Kuda horses around a year and a half ago...with no problems. I didn't reset the tank or anything, just added the new batch of horses once the tank balanced back out. I'm wondering if I could mix the species since kind of technically they have been exposed to Erectus seahorse cooties.

Thoughts?????

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/397035/need-some-brain-storming#post_3537786
Hi,

I know the rule is to not mix the seahorse species because the bacteria on one, may not be immune to the bacteria of the other. I had Erectus horses in my 56g before they died when I flushed my Aquaripure line into the sump (hard lesson learned). I replaced the Erectus with Kuda horses around a year and a half ago...with no problems. I didn't reset the tank or anything, just added the new batch of horses once the tank balanced back out. I'm wondering if I could mix the species since kind of technically they have been exposed to Erectus seahorse cooties.

Thoughts?????

No thoughts at all....?

crimzy

I'm a firm believer that much of this hobby is trial and error. We've all made mistakes and lost fish in the process. Unless you're doing something totally irresponsible, or something that cannot work then I say give it a shot. I'd bet that it could work. Just my opinion... :t^:

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimzy http:///t/397035/need-some-brain-storming#post_3537831
I'm a firm believer that much of this hobby is trial and error. We've all made mistakes and lost fish in the process. Unless you're doing something totally irresponsible, or something that cannot work then I say give it a shot. I'd bet that it could work. Just my opinion...

Thank you for chiming in... You're right it is trial and error, but I still am just am not sure....

Gemmy, can you explain the reason why you wouldn't? The water in the tank has been exposed to both species.

gemmy

Personally, I wouldn't mix Kuda and Erectus. Many of the seahorse experts would not recommend it as well. You say that your Kuda have been exposed to erectus "cooties". However, you also state that you waited for the tank to balance out before adding the seahorses. What if the "cooties" died while the tank did not have seahorses? Seahorses are very touchy and it only takes a little change or issue to throw the tank in a tailspin. I for one, as a responsible seahorse keeper, am not willing to take a risk such as mixing seahorses.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemmy http:///t/397035/need-some-brain-storming#post_3537871
Personally, I wouldn't mix Kuda and Erectus. Many of the seahorse experts would not recommend it as well. You say that your Kuda have been exposed to erectus "cooties". However, you also state that you waited for the tank to balance out before adding the seahorses. What if the "cooties" died while the tank did not have seahorses? Seahorses are very touchy and it only takes a little change or issue to throw the tank in a tailspin. I for one, as a responsible seahorse keeper, am not willing to take a risk such as mixing seahorses.

Ah yes...there was a loll in time before I added the Kuda. I'm too paranoid to take the chance then, if it isn't broke don't fix it....Things are going good in that tank, and it makes no sense to take even the slightest chance. I will look for some female Kuda.

I do still have bristle worm problems...I remove all I can catch. I do wish I could get these to feed from a dish like I did the Erectus...that would solve so many issues, from bristle worms to water quality....SIGH