Need some help picking out a protein skimmer

snakeblitz33

Hmm, a hang on back skimmer - do you have a sump system at all?
A remora rated for your tank would do nicely. A coralife 125 would also do alright for your size tank. A protein skimmer is not absolutely necessary unless you don't keep up with water changes.
Why not get an external overflow and a sump system set up so you can increase water volume and have a larger skimmer and even a refugium perhaps?

snakeblitz33

If anything AT ALL, DO NOT get a SeaClone 100. That's a novice mistake because they are cheap and they look like they work, but they don't unless you really modify them, and even then they don't work that well.
I hope this helps at all - and I hope some other people chime in as well. Good luck and happy reefing!

bmkj02

Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33
http:///forum/post/3149649
If anything AT ALL, DO NOT get a SeaClone 100. That's a novice mistake because they are cheap and they look like they work, but they don't unless you really modify them, and even then they don't work that well.
I hope this helps at all - and I hope some other people chime in as well. Good luck and happy reefing!
+1 I have a seaclone 150 that I have been trying to sell for a couple of weeks. No hits.

flower

Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33
http:///forum/post/3149649
+1..LOL I called it a cyclone...anyway DO NOT GET A CORALIFE!!! they suck so bad... microbubbles everywhere, and mine has overflowed 2xs already. This last time it sucked up so much water that the auto top off ran and ran until my SG dropped to dangerous levels. Saltwater was being sucked out and overflowing onto the floor, my ATO was replacing the water loss with fresh RO water.
CPR Back PAC is no better..it hardly skims anything.

snakeblitz33

lol. Some people really like the coralife super skimmers. You just have to understand how the flow of water and air works. It's pretty simple, and I really like them. You can easily adjust them for wet or dry skimming. I've occasionally had a problem with overflow, but that was when the airline tubing fell down in the water and stopped the bubble action.
Of course, when it came to microbubbles, they pretty much sucked for that. I always has to keep my coralife in the sump so that it wouldn't bubble so much. There are ways, of course, to reduce the amount of bubbles released in the tank.
+1 about the CPR BakPak as well, those things suck. There's honestly no really good HOB protein skimmers that I can thing of, well... besides the Bermuda Rogue skimmer.

nick0685

Thanks i would like to be able to do an overflow and wet/dry setup but i would have to find one that fits and i havent be able to do that yet. so that way i wouldnt have to do a HOB. i think i have decide either to get the octopus bh-2000 or the bh-800s any suggestions

snakeblitz33

Go for it man, the only thing you can do is to test it out and see how it works for your system. All we can do is tell you what has worked for us in the past and all you can do is make decisions based upon that.
Good luck and tell us how it goes. Post Pics!!

gio28

get the remora pro. i think i have the normal version of it and it skims great. every few days i get a pretty dark skim that i need to empty out. and the collection cup is very big so it wont overflow at all.