Need Some Help Please

lesa

I bought a 10 gallon over the weekend, it has a small carbon filter and a 15 watt regular aqu bulb.
Can I set this up as a fowlr? Would the current filter systen be okay with no skimmer? And will a 10k light work? There is no room for a blue one.
Can anyone help?
Thank You
Lesa

zack schwartz

Yea I bet that would work. Take out the carbon however. Lighting should be fine with no corals. I would make like a 2-3" sand bed and put like 10lbs of LR in there.
For the fish the only thing is the tank i so small the types of fish and the amount of fish will be small. Any ideas on what you want in the tank?

overanalyzer

I disagree on the carbon - I use it in both my nano's to keep the water quality high - with a fowlr that small you could get a couple of fish ....... otherwise you should be fine!

T

thomas712

Zack - yea why take out the carbon? I would think in a nano size tank that the carbon would be more useful. I know to each his own, I'm just wondering why you prefer not to use it in a nano.
Thomas

zack schwartz

I found in my nanos its takes a lot of the nutrents out, i used it yes everonce in a whil but not 24/7 I had to replesh a lot, but i guess in a fowlr it may not be as big a deal without the corals.

lesa

So leave the current filter on the tank and get a 10k light is this correct?
On the fish I was thinking maybe 2 clowns.
If not what fish would you suggest?
Will follow ALL advice to a t:D

overanalyzer

yeah 2 clowns would be nice - I'd highly suggest getting some rocks that they canswim in and out of and you should look for tank raised!! SWF has some black and whites on sale now - but either way go tank raised!

tiffster

You might want to get a 50/50 bulb instead of just the 10000k. If you do decide to add mushrooms down the line you would be set. My clown hosts in a mushroom so you may end up with a really cool combo. You can find retrofit kits where you can install a 36 watt bulb in the light strip you already have if you want higher light requiring corals later on. It's hard to resist the urge to put corals in...at least for me!:D :D