Need some help with building a sump

driedbrain

I am new to saltwater, I've had a 45g deep w/ LR, Hiatian anenome and a hosting clown, 2 damsles, CBS, snails/hermits. I have a hang-on protien skimmer, 2 emperor 400's and 3 maxijet 1200's. I don't like the look of everything hanging off the back. I really like it when I see a little ribbed black nossle in the tank to provide circulation, but have no idea what it is. I have a 90g glass with two 1in holes drilled in the back right corner, w/ a curved black acrylic glued to the right corner. I've never built a sump and apparently I am a slow learner because I can't figure out why there are two holes next to eachother? I've seen a few set-up's and all of them have either holes drilled in the sides, or 2 holes drilled in opposite corners. Can someone help me out to give me some ideas on how to build a sump here. I understand I need a bulk head to fit in one of the holes, to drain the water down in the sump, but where will the water flow come back? I am a hands on learner so sorry for the ignorance. Pretend like you are talking to a child so I can understand....

dawman

On each side there is two holes , each side has a drain which goes to the sump and the other on each side is for the return water coming from a pump that returns the water from the sump to the tank . You need bulkhead fittings for all the holes so you can pipe the drains to the sump and to pipe the return line from the pump to the tank .

driedbrain

That pic is worth a thousand words. Thankyou!
One more question. How much noise do it make. Does the drip sound loud or is the pvc curved enough to keep it quiet? Say on a scale of 1-10 and 10 being the loudest...any tips on making it more quiet? Sorry for all the questions.

dawman

far as sound , it will depend on the sump . I use Tidepool sump which has three drawers for media and then a distribution tray which quites the water down . I sold my buddie a typical sump like the water just flowing into bio balls and his doesn`t make much noise at all . Sumps are less noisey than having a bunch of HOB and canister filters running in my opinion .I`d say mine are a 3-4 and same for my buddies . I have seven tanks in my basement two have sumps , two are nanos , and the rest have HOB and/or canisters . With all that going I really don`t get much noise .

I have the same type of overflow. Just set mine up last weekend. I have 2 holes and that is it. One to go to my sump and one to return my water. Our pump is really quiet but the pipe makes noise. My fiance didn't make sure our sump could fit underneath the tank, so of course it don't. So he drilled holes in the side of the stand and hard piped it down and out to our sump. So the pipe vibrates against the wood and is really loud but there is some type of hard foam stuff (he told me but I forgot) that we're going to add to the hole so that it will quit vibrating. We have a Mag Drive Pump.

dawman

Too bad your sump isn`t in the stand , that quites it down a lot . I have a 75 with a hob overflow and the sump is right next to the tank which is a little louder than in a stand but not much noise . I thought about drilling holes in my stand for the 135 so I could put my canister in the stand with the sump but like yours was afraid of vibration noise .

Originally Posted by Dawman
Too bad your sump isn`t in the stand , that quites it down a lot . I have a 75 with a hob overflow and the sump is right next to the tank which is a little louder than in a stand but not much noise . I thought about drilling holes in my stand for the 135 so I could put my canister in the stand with the sump but like yours was afraid of vibration noise .

We went and bought that foam stuff that I mentioned and it helped a 100%. I will ask him tonight and let you know what we used.

nietzsche

Originally Posted by knichols0313
I lied it isn't a foam type it is just regular Silicone.
why would you lie to us? :[