need some help with some fish

scheri11

I am looking at getting a Raccoon and a Heniochus Butterfly. My question is it says they are not really reef safe but does anyone have them in there reef and are they are doing OK? It just talks about them eating the worms out of the rock. I really do not see that as a problem if that is all they do.

aquaknight

The Raccoon is an indiscriminate eater, he should eat pretty much any type of coral.
There are multiple species of Heniochus, some are reef safe, others are not. Assuming you are referring to the general two species of Heniochus, Heniochus diphreutes is reef-safe, Heniochus acuminatus is not. They are nearly identical fish. H. disphreutes has a shorter snout, and the white/black band edge goes to the point on the anal fin.
H.acuminatus

H. diphreutes

srfisher17

Originally Posted by scheri11
http:///forum/post/3246148
I am looking at getting a Raccoon and a Heniochus Butterfly. My question is it says they are not really reef safe but does anyone have them in there reef and are they are doing OK? It just talks about them eating the worms out of the rock. I really do not see that as a problem if that is all they do.
When you ask a question in this way; you'll always get the answer you want. Someone, somewhere has done everything in this hobby; long-term success is another thing. I agree with both meowzer and Aquaknight; raccoons are notorious coral eaters and will also munch anemones.