Need Some Help Yall!!

loopy101

otay dont know where to really begin. dealing with a couple different issues i never thought i would be dealing with here! but if yall can give me some opions or info on these questions i would greatly be indebted to ya!
how low or how much evaporation can a tank handle? i usually get my water from a spring out in boon docs that has great water!
will also need to know if i am going to run into problems with the fact i had to take my power head out of my fish tank today to use as a emergency sump pump. i hooked my canastir filter up so it pushes more water but that is all its doing is moving water not really filtering the water right now. i do not have alot of coral but a few polyps 1 mushroom and some xiena.and live stock a fire golby,damsels and a lawnmower blenny and around 25 pounds of live rock. but i do have even half the water movement i did before. and maybe thats not a big problem.
also what would be a good power head to get these days. i am gonna have to look at getting a new one now.
the reason for these issues is that fact we have gotten around a foot of water the last 2 days. cant get out of town to get my water and i am sure the spring is under water anyhow and really dont like the idea of using tap water specially when we arent suppose to drink the water right now do to the fact the water/sewer system plant is under water.... and the only place that sells ro water in town well its under water right now and closed up. i must say though my power head works pretty dang good for a sump pump i was pretty imprest with it !!

reefmate75

i would have to say go buy some gallons of bottled water from a store somewhere, but do not keep using that water, or the water from the boom docs, if its "natural" spring water it has alot of things you dont want in your aquarium and is loaded with nutrients that will grow unwanted alges along with other things, can get away for it for awhile but then it hits you, i suggest buying a RO unit after all the flooding stops, if you need one for a good price ill sell you one, but i wouldnt keep using the water you currently are useing, it has run off in it which has fertilizers and insecticides "im a water guy and do tests on natural waters around oklahoma" and they arnt the greatests
i have to stress the fact that RO/DI units are more important then 50% of the things we do in this hobby, if you dont have one i stress getting it from a RO/DI but then your hualing water jugs and that sucks as i used to do that too
your salinity can get to about .035-.037 after that stuff is going to start to die off
Im sure you know this but the part befor this one is the answer to the question how much evap can a tank handle and when the water evaps it leaves the salt behind makeing the SG go up in your tank, so .35-.37 is max

loopy101

yes i did know that the salt stays in the tank so wasnt to wworried about that just on what and where to get water. to have on hand just incase i cant get out to get some. and i understand what your saying about using spring water but been using that water for little over 6 months now and always have great water levels and no algea as of yet..i suppose i ASSUMED that since there was a water botteling company taking the water and botteling it from the same spring that the water was pretty pure and could be used for my fish tank.