Need some help

gootz

Hey guys need a little help started a nano. Im not too sure if im actually going to go through with it but I found a 10 gallon hex in my garage. Now i would need the equipment because the freshwater equipment i had is just not going to cut it. Anyone have ideas of what I should buy. and please tell me how much you think I am going to spend on everything. Still can't decide if i want to make it a mini reef, or have 1 or 2 fish in there. Give me LOTS of suggestions.THANKS
-Frankie

clarkiiclo

I dont think a hex is a good choice for your tank- there is not alot of surface area for gas exchange. I would spend 10 more bucks and buy a conventional 10 gallon tank if you are going to build your own.
You could buy a "premade" nano like the nancube dx. They are nice and very little is needed to make them very nice.
I have about 300.00 in mine but the tank was a present.

gootz

thanx clarkii..so the hex has no choice of working out??? because it size was a good size for me.... I also have a really small 5 gallon tank. Its a bowfront type. Not too sure if its a 2.5 or a 5 but if it is a 5 will that work???

clarkiiclo

Will this be your first saltwater tank?
If so I would go as large as you can. It will be easier to maintain

gootz

no i have an established 46 gallon bow for about 8-9 months now...I used to have a 72 bowfront as well... I just thought it would be intresting to start a small nano i can keep on my desk in my room.

clarkiiclo

A five is pretty hard to maintain from what I hear.
I have enough trouble with my 10.
I think I would go with a 10.

laddy

I agree with ClarkiiClo, the five hex (if memory serves) is all height, not width. Poor exchange on the surface, minimal space for adequate filtration and current. What about lighting, what kind is it?

gootz

The 5 is not a hwx its a bowfront type.....not too sure what name brand it is.....I was thinkin of getting some lr and maybe a shrimp...I just need advice on what equipment to buy because im new to nano tanks