need some input, please help out

dwendler4

i have been running a 75 gallon for a little over a year... i recently decided to start a 10 gallon for my bedroom. it finished cycling a couple weeks ago. right now it only has a scarlet hermit crab, peppermint shrimp and a snail (forgive me i dont know what kind it is, bought it in a group of snails i got over a year ago). i have not really added much because i havent fully decided what i want to do with it.
i have 2 ideas so far and am open to any suggestions for cool ideas of what to do with a 10 gallon. both of my ideas so far sound like if i did them right they could be real cool, i just want to make sure that what i choose to do is doable. please give any input.
idea #1: only a couple small fish, and lots of inverts. i like inverts, and i think that all the movement that they give tanks looks good. i wouldnt want to overdo it and starve anything, would i be able to do something like this:
3 or 4 peppermint shrimp
1 emerald crab
some sort of star (open to suggestions; starvation being the key concern here)
maybe.... 5? small snails
10-15 various hermits
my 75 gallon is my first saltwater tank and while i have learned a lot, i dont know much at all about keeping a small tank. is this list doable? if you see any problems let me know please. also, any inverts you would add to the list?
idea #2: lots of LR, pair of clowns, and some sort of anemone. i love anemones, but have never kept one for fear of it being a murdering lunatic... my thoughts: with nothing to kill... no problems...... hopefully... questions: what kind of anemone would be okay in a 10 gallon? i like rose bubble tips; possibility? lighting: would a 20 inch, 80 watt PC light with a 6700°K/10000°K daylight bulb and a 420 nm and 460 nm actinic be enough for an anemone?
any input is appreciated, thank you.

geoj

A ten will take a lot of time and things go bad fast but if you have the time it can be done. Most anemones get big so think of the tank as a temporary thing. I would go low to moderate light filter feeders. Maybe skip all fish that need to be fed. You see where I am going low maintenance, low waist, animals that will consume waist and not making it.

dwendler4

can you suggest a couple fish that would match what you described? fish that wouldnt need to be fed? thanks.

<3scopas55

Im not sure if a mantis would be ok in a 10 (most likely though) but that would be an awesome idea especially if you like inverts! You dont see many of those!

emm0909

The invert thing is often wanted. Especially when you're first getting into them. I would put some rock in the tank. Not too much. Then keep it simple. Several mushrooms, different colors. Maybe a little Kenya tree frag and some palys. Some low light pieces what will survive.
Stock? Youre going to have to limit it because of tank size and grazing space. A solid setup I would suggest:
1 Goby
1 Pistol shrimp - interact with the goby. Makes a fun highlight of the tank.
1 Pseudochromis or royal gramma. Something that looks nice and has some personality. Fridmani Pseudochromis! Great fish.
1 Shrimp - get something nice. Permint shrimp are for refugiums! Go get a nice fire shrimp.
1 or 2 Crabs - You could get whatever you wanted. A teddybear crab? I would stay away from carnivore crabs though. They'll eat your snails. I would get a boxing crab or some type of filter feeder. You could also get a sally lightfoot as well.
1 starfish or urchin (be careful of grazing space)
2 little hermits
8 or so small snails
Just keep it simple and don't overload it. 10 galllons can go bad fast. Use a lot of rubble pieces on the substrate and let it double as a simple frag tank. Use it as a QT for new fish. Or a holding cell for bad critters you find in your DT. Put some chateau in there and get some sexy shrimp. Or get a frog fish! There are endless things you can do to a ten gallon. So many possibilities you might as well just get eight ten gallons and put something different in every one.

emm0909

I think a mantis would do great in a ten gallon. They are smart little guys too so you'd probably get a lot of enjoyment and interaction with it. Beware that anything alive in the tank is at risk though.