Need some opinions on which brand to go with ;)

tang master

If I were you, I would go with a 24g aquapod. It is so cheap that if you end up not liking it you can always get something different, but IMO the aquapod is the the best bang for your buck!

todd03blown

I guess it depends on how much you want to spend. I just bought the Elos mini that has everything including a stand and their new LED E-lite. Its about 1600 bucks but its made in Italy and just beautiful!! It comes with an all glass sump as well.
Here is a picture of mine so you can see.

whisk

Originally Posted by nuzz
http:///forum/post/2804480
Can you tell me more about the Aquapod? What exactly does it come with?
Sure. So I got the 24 gallon. It comes with 3 sets of light. Daylight, actinic, and moonlight LED. The daylight and actinic are 3 prong plugs, the moonlight LED has a DC converter. Together the daylight and actinic are 64watts. It also comes with two cooling fans in the hood. There are three switches on the back, one for each light. When you flip on the daylight, the cooling fans come on. Some people swap the actinic and daylight bulbs so the cooling fans turn on when the actinic lights come on (usually because people turn on the actinic an hour before daylights and off an hour after daylights).
As far as filtration, it has a 290gph powerhead, 2 sponges, a bag of ceramics, and like 3 or 4 bioballs. I ended up replacing the stock powerhead with a maxi-jet 1200 (more reliable and runs cooler). I took out all the sponges, ceramics, and bioballs and will not be using them. In its place, i made a media rack out of eggcrate to hold the filterfloss, chaeto, and filtration bag such as chemipure. I will be creating my own diary soon and will include plenty of pictures. I'll probably start the diary this weekend.
It also comes with a Y splitter nozzle that you fit on the return nozzle so you can aim the flow of water.
And thats about it, let me know if you have anymore questions.

rotarymagic

Originally Posted by todd03blown
http:///forum/post/2803622
I guess it depends on how much you want to spend. I just bought the Elos mini that has everything including a stand and their new LED E-lite. Its about 1600 bucks but its made in Italy and just beautiful!! It comes with an all glass sump as well.
Here is a picture of mine so you can see.

I'm trying to get my Tunze tank to have a clean DT like that... What are the specs on that light?

rotarymagic

http:///forum/post/2803012
I was thinking of avoiding the metal halides because of the heat they produce... I can imagine that could possibly lead to problems in a smaller tank (less than 30-gal).
I think the Biocubes offer approx 3 watts per gallon in flourescent compact lights... which, I was told
, should be sufficient (despite the recommended 4+ watts per gallon we were told by a fish expert) SINCE a nano-reef isn't all that deep.
Please tell me if I'm wrong.
Which leads to another question - Can we change the lights and/or light fixtures in a pre-built nano reef setup??
Kara
Can't grow anything cool without a metal halide or individually reflected T5HO. Yeah you can change the lights later for more money... may as well spend alittle extra up front than LOTS more down the road. Notice how no "cheapo" cube stays stock EVER? They are terrible in stock form. I don't know of anyone with any sense that uses the bioballs in a nanocube or biocube for a saltwater application. 4 watts per gallon isn't enough to grow more than zoas, palys, leathers, and ricordeas and even then they'll still probably be reaching towards the light. Sorry to sound like a jerk, but you sound like you're on a budget so why not spend the money right the first time go round? I run metal halides on all my tanks at present. On my 20long it stays 82F consistently with a 150w MH and it has a lid, no fans, no chiller. That's 7.5w/gallon which is still a bad indicator since T5HO's can produce LOTS of light per watt with individual reflectors, a Good 150+W T5HO would bleach corals that are otherwise ok under the MH I use.
Please check out the Current USA solana, it seems like it has everything you'll want and they come from the factory working WELL and have a MH option! They look GREAT too!

nuzz

Rotarymagic, thanks for your input. Just curious how you have come to the conclusion that we're on a budget, simply because we want the best bang for our buck?
I will look into the Current USA Solana... since no doubt in the future our saltwater family will be expanding.
We came across a killer deal last night and purchased a used Nano Cube 28-gal HQI.
Retail $499.99, but we picked it up for half the price. Only thing we need to do is re-seal the top of it with some silicone.
Apparently, nano cube experienced some issues with cracking glass like 2 or 3 years ago, but have since corrected their problem. Then, there is the issue with the metal halide (which my husband calculated comes to 5.5 watts/gallon in this setup) heating everything up.
Since winter is starting, we're not going to have a problem with this for a few months at least. However in the summer months, if we keep our home at approx 74F, the guy at the LFS says this setup will range from 81F to 83F. I figure we'll just invest in a chiller later then if necessary. They weren't really as expensive as I thought - still a pretty penny but not bad!!
I don't think the nano cube looks all that bad, and all the better since we got it for such a deal.
Can't wait to move our 23-gal reef into the cube, and to see the metal halide shimmer.
Kara

rotarymagic

http:///forum/post/2806046
Rotarymagic, thanks for your input. Just curious how you have come to the conclusion that we're on a budget, simply because we want the best bang for our buck?
I will look into the Current USA Solana... since no doubt in the future our saltwater family will be expanding.
We came across a killer deal last night and purchased a used Nano Cube 28-gal HQI.
Retail $499.99, but we picked it up for half the price. Only thing we need to do is re-seal the top of it with some silicone.
Apparently, nano cube experienced some issues with cracking glass like 2 or 3 years ago, but have since corrected their problem. Then, there is the issue with the metal halide (which my husband calculated comes to 5.5 watts/gallon in this setup) heating everything up.
Since winter is starting, we're not going to have a problem with this for a few months at least. However in the summer months, if we keep our home at approx 74F, the guy at the LFS says this setup will range from 81F to 83F. I figure we'll just invest in a chiller later then if necessary. They weren't really as expensive as I thought - still a pretty penny but not bad!!
I don't think the nano cube looks all that bad, and all the better since we got it for such a deal.
Can't wait to move our 23-gal reef into the cube, and to see the metal halide shimmer.
Kara
Get a chiller, I thought you weren't on a budget? The 28HQI is plagued with heat issues...good luck running without a chiller, everything won't do so well when you come one day and its running at 88F. LOL. JBJ makes a 1/15 mini arctica (I have one of these) that works quite well for this app... just set the chiller at 80-81F and you're good to go. Remember you need to address nitrate and phosphate export some how.

nuzz

Well, I did say we'd purchase one if we needed to, didn't I?
We shouldn't have to until next summer like I said, but will do so earlier if need be. LFS guy is a nano-cube retailer and he has sold many, and in his experience the warmest they run is about 83F in a cool house. In the winter theyre just fine.
How much is the mini arctica just out of curiousity? LFS guy gave us 4 different options ranging from $210-315 he said. Said the $210 one would work just fine for a tank our size. Can't remember what brand it is though

Kara

rotarymagic

http:///forum/post/2806346
Well, I did say we'd purchase one if we needed to, didn't I?
We shouldn't have to until next summer like I said, but will do so earlier if need be. LFS guy is a nano-cube retailer and he has sold many, and in his experience the warmest they run is about 83F in a cool house. In the winter theyre just fine.
How much is the mini arctica just out of curiousity? LFS guy gave us 4 different options ranging from $210-315 he said. Said the $210 one would work just fine for a tank our size. Can't remember what brand it is though

Kara
1/15 mini artica is like $330 of JBJ's site. Make sure you get one with titanium internals, dont want any rusted steel action going on.. REMEMBER marine tanks and steel chillers don't mix LOL... You get what you pay for. I've had zero problems with my chiller, but if you're a big baller... there's always TECO!!! that's the rolls royce of chillers.

rotarymagic

Originally Posted by subielover
http:///forum/post/2807144
18 individually reflected 3w/ 80 lumen per watt LED`s. They are $900. I thought you knew everything

Nope, I don't know really anything about LEDs for reefing, they're "taboo" to me lol. $900 is steep too lol.

subielover

I know that was an elos
I was just commenting that finnex are at the top of my list for nanos. Obviously if money is no object than crazy set-ups, such as the elos mini would have to be right up there.