Need some shark advice

broncofish

Originally posted by .357
I have never been to the O St. I don't really care for Capital but, I have a big store credit there. I gave them a few giant FW fish. Have you been to The Aquarium in concord yet? Not as big as capital but, much much better.

Planning on makeing a trip there this weekend...hey I forgot to e-mail you I'll hit you with an e-mail from work here in a few minutes:D

If you are going down this weekend I would say hit them both. The other place I told you about "All About Fish" has several sharks, you might want to stop in there as well. I droped off a giant red belly poco there once, I think they had it for 8 months.

byronk

Originally posted by broncofish
actually it was the O street aquarium....much much better under new management. I usually don't go to capital

Have you been to aqua life aquarium in Rocklin? They have 2 blacktips in there big display.

I lived in Rocklin when I was going to Seirra. Now I'm with Broncofish, it's over 100 miles for me. Can you post a pic?

byronk

I lived in Rocklin when I was going to Seirra. Now I'm with Broncofish, it's over 100 miles for me. Can you post a pic?

here is a pic from thier site. They have 2 now. This is the bigger one.

OMG, that black tip is sick. I guess it is only 120 miles. Broncofish, are you ready to go? Show your wife that one. Thanks for posting the pic Byronk.

novice150

That shark Rocks!! If you guys should end up going to this place, please take pics:D I think we'd all like to see them.

tony detroit

That one's for novice from the toledo zoo!
Novice I remember you telling the board about having a problem with keeping fish with your blacktip. I think those were some type of butterfly fish in the background and there were also some yellowtail damsels in there as well as a bamboo, another blacktip, and that monster wobbegong if that helps.

broncofish

OMG, that black tip is sick. I guess it is only 120 miles. Broncofish, are you ready to go? Show your wife that one. Thanks for posting the pic Byronk.

All ready did...which now has her thinking we need a BIG BIG tank. I am not going to object but I would rather wait till we move back to Kansas so I can put it in the basement. In the meantime I am going to start with the little things....like building a very big protein skimmer, and starting the engineering of a big tank. I think we might pick up a 180 to put a couple bamboos in in the mean time. I'm now much more game to drive up there after seeing that pic

Broncofish, I went by All About Fish this weekend. The have 2 Port Jacksons there and a few others. When you go back to Kansas as long as you have some opening to the outside in your basement I think I would use concrete. Now I haven't done it yet but I think you could save a lot of time on the construction using concrete. If you had to brake it up you can easily get it down to 6-8 inch chunks. I have demoed both and concrete walls even 4-5 inches thick can't stand up to a 20lb heater (sledgehammer). I am hoping I have a chance to go big some day but, it is going to take remodeling my house.

novice150

Originally posted by tony detroit
That one's for novice from the toledo zoo!
Novice I remember you telling the board about having a problem with keeping fish with your blacktip. I think those were some type of butterfly fish in the background and there were also some yellowtail damsels in there as well as a bamboo, another blacktip, and that monster wobbegong if that helps.

Tony: Very Cool!! :D Do you have any idea what size tank that is? I like the decor in the tank as well. I need to add a few larger pieces to my tank, the lr I have in there looks like rubble:)
I'm still not having much luck keeping other fish with the shark. I've come to terms with it though. The BT was born to eat other fish, and that's what he'll do if I put them in there. I added a bunch of damsels last week, and only those with fighter jet like agility/speed have survived. :D Domino's seem to do the best. They've all made homes in/under the lr. They pay attention to where the shark is at, and stay out of his path. Chromis are a major no no. They spend to much time in the water column.

tony detroit

Novice: unfortunately I don't
If I had to give a rough estimate it was 10'long by 10' and approxamately 4-5' deep which I calculate to 3000 gal-3740 gal.
Like I said that's rough numbers though.....
I remembered your geribaldi damsel story the other day when I read about one in one of my reef books. I bet the misses was PO'd that day!!!LOL

Novice, after what you built would you go wood or concrete if you were to do it again? I would like to go concrete but maybe I am way off.
Thanks

broncofish

OK went to aqualife last night....they have two blacktips in there now. Man they look good, plus two huge freaking eels and a bunch of nervouse damsels. How long are they going to be able to keep them in a 500g tank?

novice150

Novice, after what you built would you go wood or concrete if you were to do it again? I would like to go concrete but maybe I am way off.
Thanks

If I were to build another tank this size or smaller under the same circumstances, I would do everything the same. For one, I enjoyed the project, and the challenge associated with it. Also, I really didn't want anything as permanent as concrete in this house. Tearing it down, and resale value were my concerns.
Now if I were to build a bigger tank (which I plan to do) around 4k-8k gallons, then I'd definitely go concrete. What I'd really like to do is have the tank walls poured at the same time as the foundation for a new home:D

Broncofish, is aqualife that place in Rocklin? when you get a chance check out my diagram for the fuge in the equipment section. I need to make the fuge and do some modifications on the sump. Let me know what you think.