Need sugg for automatic top off system

lennon

I am not a handy person..so I cannot make one myself. BuT does anyone have suggestions for a simple auto top off system?
I saw one from Aqua Medic for $89..is that good? I need protection from a flood too.
Thank in advance for the help!!

tree

Are you looking for gravity fed or some type with a pump?
When you say you are looking for flood protection, are you referring to protection from the auto topoff or from power/return pump failure?

lennon

Originally Posted by tree
Are you looking for gravity fed or some type with a pump?
When you say you are looking for flood protection, are you referring to protection from the auto topoff or from power/return pump failure?
HI there.
Being that I want most of the equiptment below in the sump, I am not sure if the gravity fed is the best for me. I think I would need a pump.
As far as flood...I want protection from anyway the system could end up overflowing anywhere.
I heard I would need some kind of shut off but I am not sure what.
Thanks for the help

tree

Do a search for the Tunze Osmolator That is what I use, the controller comes with a pump for the auto topoff, another sensor for if the water is too high, & the pump will only run 10 minutes. Unfortunately, SWF doesn't sell it.
I couldn't locate the Aqua Medic one you are referring to

lennon

Originally Posted by tree
I couldn't locate the Aqua Medic one you are referring to
Here is the info on the Aqua Medic. You can also get the dosing pump for it.
The Aqua Medic SP 3000 Niveaumat will automatically top up evaporated water in fresh and salt water aquariums. It comprises an SP 3000 peristaltic pump with a directly connected float switch. The float switch is installed in the aquarium or filter tank at the desired level using its holding unit. As the level drops, the SP 3000 automatically tops up the tank with water from a reservoir (not supplied).
Capacity: 0.79gal (3Lph)
Pump Hose: Santoprene® (Santoprene, for long lifetime)
Power Consumption: 4.5W

lennon

I made a mistake..It is $137. and with the description below...
Aqua Medic SP 3000 Niveaumat w/ Auto Top-off Pump System
Item Code: AQ4513
Price: $137.00
Is this agood price for these systems?
Customer Reviews
Not rated yet
Automatic top up unit with peristaltic pump and float switch
The SP 3000 Niveaumat will automatically top up evaporated water in fresh and salt water aquariums. It comprises an SP 3000 peristaltic pump with a directly connected float switch. The float switch is installed in the aquarium or filter tank at the desired level using its holding unit. As the level drops the SP 3000 automatically tops up the tank with water from a reservoir (not supplied).
Capacity: 0.79gal (3Lph)
Maximum head: 10m/ 30ft - 1bar/14.5psi
Pump Hose: Santoprene® (Santoprene, for long lifetime)
Power Consumption: 4.5W

castiron

Lennon,
If you've got room in your sump, rinse out a gallon milk container fill it with water and suspend it upside down just below your water line. As water evaporates, the jug will drain. Cheap and easy!

lennon

Originally Posted by CastIron
Lennon,
If you've got room in your sump, rinse out a gallon milk container fill it with water and suspend it upside down just below your water line. As water evaporates, the jug will drain. Cheap and easy!

:joy: Wow, I never thought of that..Will it drain slowly?
I guess I can always attach a float to stop it if it gets too high right?
Is this what you do? do you have a picture? How did you suspend it?
Thanks so much...very clever and hopefully I can use that...it's a consideration..but
how often do I need to refill?

tim_12

Kent sells a float valve for about $30. Ive heard its pretty good, Its gravity fed and there are no pumps to fail. Thats what I'm going to do as soon as I finish setting up my sump.

lennon

Originally Posted by Tim_12
Kent sells a float valve for about $30. Ive heard its pretty good, Its gravity fed and there are no pumps to fail. Thats what I'm going to do as soon as I finish setting up my sump.

Yes, but how exactly do you do that. What gets attached and where?
Can you give me details if it's not too much trouble. I will have to do it myself and
need some direction or info.
Thanks so much!!

kdfrosty

I got a JBJ Auto Top Off for around $75.
It has two floats...one for your reservoir (Ro/Di water), and one for your sump. It prevents the sump from getting too low, and the reservoir from running dry. works good.

lennon

Originally Posted by KDFrosty
I got a JBJ Auto Top Off for around $75.
It has two floats...one for your reservoir (Ro/Di water), and one for your sump. It prevents the sump from getting too low, and the reservoir from running dry. works good.

Thanks..I'll research that one too...My options are pretty good it seems..