Need suggestion for xmas present !!

deidre7

Hi all,
I am wanting to buy something cool for my boyfriends salt water tank. He has a reef tank, with a clown fish, agobie (spelling? hehe), a weird brain looking thing, some angel fish, a few damsels, and some cool snails and a weird crab that looks like a daddy long legs lol....
I do not neccessarily want to buy more fish, but maybe an accessorry or some sort of cool fish food or unique product for the tank. Does anyone have any suggestions for me that is near $50 or under? We also live in Los Angeles, CA so if there is a store suggestion too that would be awesome :)
Please reply to the thread or feel free to emal me. Thank you!!
Deidre
dmannabr@gmail.com

ophiura

Honestly? Please do a gift certificate. Problems can be caused by well meaning spouses and family
no offense....without knowing a lot more about the setup, we may suggest something completely useless, or something he has decided he does not want.
DEFINITELY do not buy any sort of livestock as a gift.

mie

I could not agree more, a gift certificate will make him very happy. and much easier.

fishwish

Does he have a refractometer? That is what I got my BF for Christmas. It is used for measuring salt and costs about $50. It is much more accurate than a hydrometer. The clear plastic is the hydrometer and the tube thingy is the refractometer. If you want a place to order it online just pm me.

npage

If he's into or getting more into corals, DR Instruments has a "Ultimate Coral Frag Kit" for $49.95.
I can tell you its on my Santa list.

deidre7

you guys are awesome! i appreciate all the feedback. I totally agree on not buying him any fishies...I was asking questions about his tank size, etc and he was like "babe, dont get me any fish please if this is why you are asking" hahaha...

aquaknight

A refractometer is great idea, another one would be quality testing kits, Sailfert, Seachem, or Elos. A good 'master kit' with a bunch of different tests would work well. That's what I have on my xmas list.

renogaw

i have 2 hydor koralia 4's, a float valve that stops RO production, and gift cards to LFS's on my xmas list.
i'd do a little bit of snooping around his tank and see if he has a refractometer. its possible he has one already. also, he'd have most of the test kits needed. the coral frag kit though is a great idea as well.