Need suggestions for a good beginner electric guitar

I'm thinking about learning how to play guitar and probably teach myself so I was wondering if anyone knew of a good electric guitar that's around 150$ that'd be easy to learn on. I have an amp already.
And if anyone knows of a good program that teaches guitar (DVD, Book, etc) that'd be appreciated also.

jackri

The best thing you can do is pick up a cheaper guitar and play it... see how it feels. As far as instruction... I found a great UK based magazine that comes out monthly... and I can't remember the name of it. I'm not at home or I'd look but comes with all kinds of styles and a CD to hear it before you play it which is VERY key. If you send me a PM I'll send you one back with the name of the magazine... found it way better than guitar one or the other guitar world ones.

squidward

You can learn by watching Paul Gilbert lessons on youtube. The Master himself is a great teacher. You'll enjoy his lessons.

salty blues

Most every major guitar company has budget line instruments in addition to their upper end stuff. Gibson's Epiphone line as well as Fender's Squire line offer some fairly good bang for the low-end buck. If possible, have someone with some experience look over any instrument before you buy, then buy the best you can possibly afford.
The only other advice I would give is that when you do get a guitar, get someone who knows what they are doing to set up the intonation and action properly. This will pay off greatly as to how the guitar plays and feels to you, especially as a beginning player. hth

reefraff

Either of these will work for a starter.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/p...tar?sku=518334
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/p...tar?sku=518678
Hard to beat that outfits pricing.
I have a Squire Jagmaster I am going to sell as well. It is slightly higher up the food chain as far as quality goes. It's the only "Fender" guitar with the shorter neck like the Epiphone (Gibson) which most people thing are easier to play for beginners.
There is a guy on Youtube named Justin Sandercoe that does good lessons too. justinguitar.com has some of his basic lessons on there. Good beginner info there.

lovethesea

From what I have learned, the acustic is the way to start. We just bought our son a junior acustic guitar and the teacher said graduating to electric is a cake walk.

Originally Posted by lovethesea
http:///forum/post/2918209
From what I have learned, the acustic is the way to start. We just bought our son a junior acustic guitar and the teacher said graduating to electric is a cake walk.
I used to have an acustic but I never got lessons and I was like 7 so my intrest level in was not high.
Thanks for the advice/help everyone. I am definetly going to consult and probably take a friend who has an electric when I get one. Probably will go to guitar center. And I'll look those guys up online for lessons.

S

surfinusa

Try every guitar in you price range and every one that appeals to you. Remember two guitars that are the exact same can be totally different, for instance you have two squier standard strats one might sing, the other might make you cringe in disgust. Same with expensive guitars like Gibson.
Some guitars I would suggest for a starter would be:
Almost any squier- classic vibe squiers are awesome but out of you price range
Epiphone les paul special 2
Look for used guitars! Check craigs-list for used guitars. Happy guitar hunting.

reefraff

One other thing is get something that feels good. Forget about the look. You want something that is comfortable to sit and play for a long time.
I just picked up an "high end"(LOL) Epiphone SG. Way easier for me to ding around with than the strat (And just happens to look cool as hell) My Squire Jagmaster looks goofy but was much easier to play than the strat when I first got back into playing. The Strat sounds better but when you are just learning that isn't as important.