Need suggestions on fish

lyngvar

Hi Everyone, my husband Art and I aquired a huge tank. When we bought it, we were told it was a 150. In all reality its 180. Could someone or everyone give us suggestions on different types of fish. I want a large assortment of colorful and active fish. But Art is wanting to add a minature shark to the mix. We did agree on something along the lines of a community tank. But my biggest question is......................what type of shark would be ok to house with the fish? Will they even share the same habitat? We're anxious to get staeted adding to the tank...... You can email us personally at lyngvar@hughes.net Thanks, Mel

joker_ca

a 180 is way to small for a shark, and dont be to anxious to add everything in at once thats how most all newbies fail in this hobby, try picking up a book (ie reef fishes) to figure out what you want to put in your tank. you could do a aggressive setup, reef, or live rock with fish it all depends on how much time your will to put into your tank

lyngvar

Even for the sharks that get 18 to 24 inches? We we're looking at a Marbled Cat Shark that they have listed on marine aquariums. com

fishy7

I would READ READ READ READ....and gather as much info as you can. I am a newbee and it is real easy to fail if you do not have a good amount of knowledge and understanding. To give you and idea: I studied for 9 months before starting....
I would read: Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert Fenner

Good luck and take is slow.

brandiemay

Wish I had been sold a bigger tank
The best book I've bought is Marine Fishes: 500+ Essential-to-Know Aquarium Species, written by Scott W. Michael. I bought mine at Barnes and Noble. Make a list of fish you like, check for compatibility, add the inhabitants to the tank least aggressive to most aggressive. Good Luck. By the way, my favorite fish is my Niger Trigger, take a look at one of those.

psusocr1

you can get away with a marble cat shark ina 180 but you need little to no rock, two BIG caves for the shark to hide in( should be the only rock int here) and alot of open swimmign area for him. ALSO if you add a shark you cant keep any triggers, angels or puffers since theyw ill kill the shark in notime or any small fish will be food!. i keep my shark with a large maroon clown, a lion, 2 rays and 6 tangs ia lso have alot of coral, but no anenomes or strong stinging corals.
also an upgrade from the 180 in a few years would be ideal for the shark since he will get big quick