need the correct answer on bio balls PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ronjon5150

I have high nitrate levels and someone told me to remove my bio balls and regualr water changes to lower the nitrate levels. She also told me to keep them out. I was also told by another store do not remove them because they are creating the bacteria I need for my tank. It is a fish only tank no corals. Trying to get it ready for coral but with these nitrate levels no way. The person who told me to remove the bio balls runs a saltwater store and does not use them in her tanks. ANY HELP?

gemmy

Oh, this is one of the cases where you will find many answers. If you decide to remove them, I would remove them slowly. Do not remove them all at once.

oceandude

Yup, probably get several opinions on this one.
Snake has some great methods for sure.
Bio-ball soon become nitrate factories. Many aquarists replace them with live rock rubble.
You can keep them, but when nitrates get so high they need to be cleaned in which different methods can be utilized...only with the same outcome after a short duration.

snakeblitz33

I'm beginning to think that even live rock rubble needs to be taken out and washed in old saltwater. Just like Bioballs, live rock can build up detritus just as bad and needs o be maintained just like Bioballs, if placed in the sump.

xcali1985

Is the water going through your bioballs pre-filtered? You should have some type of filter cloth before the water reaches the bio balls. If your getting food and other waste stuck in your bio balls then look at the setup.
Secondly, like everything on the tank, they need to be maintained and cleaned appropiately. When I had bio balls, Changing the filter pad regularly was step one to maintaining them. Like they said above, I would not suggest cleaning more than 20-25% at a time, and even less if you can. I did mine with my water change water.
I did have life on them, however, I did not have food or waste stuck in them.
Simply put them in a bucket of old tank water swish them around a little and replace. I always put mine at the bottom once I cleaned to rotate the older ones to the top.
Hope this helps.
I used bio-balls for about 6 months, then switched to sump/refugium setup as it was a more effective way of filtering the tank.

altrocker

The tank pictured as my avatar was run on a sump with miracle mud and bioballs with pre filtration, no skimmer or anything and it's 69 gal. So I had some really great success with them, I think as long as you keep up your water changes and do what the others are saying about cleaning them often with old tank water the nitrates should go down. I used to use a soft toothbrush on mine too just to get the excess gunk off.

beaslbob

If you add macro algaes you can have unmeasureable levels of both nitrates and phosphates with or without bioballs, with or without water changes, with or with out skimmers, and etc etc etc. You get the idea. LOL
my .02