need the perfect nano setup...please help

aquabuys

Hey everyone. Before I spend the big bucks...I want some expert...or experienced ideas.
I want to know what the best nano setup would be between 5 and 30 gallons. what brand of tank. Nanocube, etc, etc.
and how should I do substrate, liverock, etc. Being a newbie should I buy liverock right away, some cheap fish to cycle it with...hmmm. lots of questions. I could write a book on freshwater fish but with marine fish I'm ignorant.
What species of corals, anenome, etc are easy to keep in a nano. And how much live rock should a person put in and in yoru opinion whats the best liverock out there to get. Walt Smith, Marshall Island, etc.?
Thanks Joe

moray345

Hey and Welcome

I have a 10 gallon nanoreef and absolutely love it:yes: Now to answer your questions, with your substrate you would probably either want to go ls or argonite based sand:yes: You need liverock to cycle your tank and I dod not cycle it with fish but some people do:thinking: Now about the corals you would need pretty strong lighting if you want to keep lps and softies i would get the Coralife 96 watt Quad Fixture if you get a 10 and about the LR i like fiji or tongan but anything works
HTH,
Moray345

aquabuys

I'm glad on the coralife end. I've got a stockpile of coralife fixtures and accessories.
Does anyone make a good 10 gallon nano tank with proper filtration. And if they say they are an "all in one"...is there anything outside the tank that I should really buy that these systems lack.
Joe

clarkiiclo

The nano cube is a nice setup. You can upgrade the hood to 72W or retro your coralife fixture.
The nano cubes filtration is ok but most people use live rock rubble as the filter instead of the bio balls.
There are some good easy mods to make it better too. Like the overflow.
It is best to cycle the tank with the substrate-sand preferred and live rock. Use a raw shrimp for the cycle instead of fish. It will just stress the fish out.
So people advocate the use of a protein skimmer on the nano but to make it look good you would have to run a seperate sump or fuge which is a bit harder to set up but in the end would be worth it.

aquabuys

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm really interested in any pictures of your nano tanks!!
Joe

mbrands

I've had the same idea in mind asyou, aquabuys - converting an unused 10 into a nano, so thanks for starting this thread!
Moray345 - I was able to find the Coralife 20" quad light you mentioned for $88 online. Does that sounds like a good price? Would you also get the legs that hold the light slightly above the tank for another $8?
Thank you!!

aquabuys

I sell that same quad light new in the box by Coralife for 90.00 which includes shipping. I accept paypal and if you send me 100.00 I'll throw in a set of legs with it shipped to.
Let me know on the light.
Joe-aka aquabuys
kleinert@chartermi.net