Need to start cutting some costs...

F

fishhugger

WOW I hope no one read this before I edited it....
it was just a question but I was waaay off.

J

jstdv8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishHugger http:///forum/thread/382617/need-to-start-cutting-some-costs#post_3340996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstdv8
http:///forum/thread/382617/need-to-start-cutting-some-costs#post_3340663
you could go without the scrubber pump and just let your overflow flow down across the screen instead. many setups have been built this way. saves on the cost of a pump and the cost of electricity to run that pump.
I personally run a pump, but you cetainly don't have to.
I dont understand this....If I dont have a pump how is the water going going back into the tank? >.<
yes, I use a seperate pump that takes water out of the sump and runs the scrubber with it.
If you are running a sump of some kind you allready have the return pump, so thats a given.

F

fishhugger

Well I got all of the sand out and the tank completely drained....so I guess all I can now is fill it back up..../cry
Ive drained and filled this thing way too many times...I cannot even begin to imagine the trouble of filling a 200+ with a 5gallon bucket.
Maybe I can rig a hose up to my faucet
and yes I will be starting out with tap water....I dont have a choice, but after that it will be RO water only
We have well water, no copper pipes only PVC. Hopefully just have to add some start right, and any phosphates should be taken care of once I get my scrubber running.

flower

I haven't chimed in, I know others are smarter than me so I waited...
I started with a reef tank from day 1. I had a 55g tank, PC lights and a canister filter (less than the price of a good pump for the sump) and two maxi jet power heads and a hydometer. That was all the equipment I had or needed for a year. With the lights you have you are already ahead of the game for corals. I changed lights 3Xs.
Do not use well water you will regret it. Walmart sells RO for .37 a gallon. Instead of the refractometer spend your cash on RO water. Base rock and seed it with a little live rock...same with sand, just get the dry stuff.
You don’t need all that fancy crap to start a reef tank. Don’t get me wrong, I love my fancy crap that I have now...but when you can’t afford it...and you love and want a SW fish tank..you get the very basics and enjoy your tank. Frags don’t cost much, and keep your eyes peeled for folks getting out of the hobby..they give away allot and sell their stuff dirt cheap.
You can do this.

F

fishhugger

I know that I shouldn't use well water to start, but I dont really see any other choice.
I would need two culligan jugs at $13 a and make 5 10mile trips before I would fill my tank.....I have small RO unit but I have no idea when the member has been changed because its been in my house since I moved here....and it only makes about 5 gallons a day, by the time I'm nearly finished filling a jug.
As far as my well water goes, the water conditioner is new and none of our plumbing includes copper pipes. I am waiting for my TDS meter to come so I can see for sure what level of suitability its at....I'm not banking on it being fantastic, but aside from copper and chlorine, I don't see what else could be wrong it.
Don't get me wrong though I know I probably shouldn't do it....I just need to know why not....aside from copper, chlorine, and phosphates, which are all non-issues in my mind.
And my plan wasn't to even start cycling until a few weeks after treating the water and running through some carbon and getting my scrubber going.
And thank you for saying it can be done, that made my day =D
stop getting me wrong....start getting me right
your face is alright....but your purse is too tight
GIMME SOME MONEEEYYY =D

drewsbrews

Prices vary by a large margin. Walmarts in my area sell the RO drinking water for $.78/gal. I pick up my water now from a LFS that sells their RO/DI for $.38/gal but I must source the containers ofcourse. I just use the 2.5gal jugs that walmart sells with their water and spare glass fermentation carboys when I'm not using em.
Well water can have all kinds of stuff. My Aunt's water has so much iron, when taking a shower it smells like you are bathing in blood. But maybe that's because it's so hard that it is destroying the old pipes.

F

fishhugger

Alright, well I dont think im going to do anything until my TDS meter gets here. If my RO water is ok, then I will fill up my tank over the course of a week I guess :p.
OH yeah, and I already have the refractometer.

flower

It takes 2 days of constant dripping into a jug to get 37g of water to do a 3% change on my 90g. Borrow jugs my friend..anything that is clean that has a cap, but don’t use your well water..it has stuff in it you can’t test for.
This is your list from page 1 I added my comment on the end of each.

[*]
tank & stand YES
[*]
canister filter (no media) YES (get some carbon and floss $20.00) Use knee high nylons pack of 10 for $5.00 and use it to put the carbon in and tie it off in sections.
[*]
New 48" t5 fixture and lights YES
[*]
9w UV sterilizer....I was going to turn the flow waaay down and use it in a QT. NO don’t need it
[*]
300w heater YES
5gallon bucket of salt YES
50lb bag of sand YES
Sheet of egg crate NO don’t need it
API saltwater master test kit Double YES
I am still waiting for my refractometer and tds meter NO don’t need it get your money back, by a $6.00 Hydrometer for now
You have enough equipment. Later you will need a skimmer…um no you don’t, I have a HOB coralife you can have for free PM if you want it.

Get base rock and a few pieces of live rock, set up your tank you are good to go. You can even build your rock slow. I don't own a TDS meter because it is too expensive you really don't need it..send it back and get your money back.

F

fishhugger

Lol I definitely appreciate all your input, that list that you brought up is stuff I already have, I threw away my 6 dollar hydrometer when I ordered my refractometer, and that is already here =P. The TDS meter was 10 bucks so I will keep that because if I cant afford a good ro/di unit, I at least want to test all available choices of water to find the best one.
IM just going to use that uv sterilizer as a power head
No need for that HOB filter, but I do honestly appreciate it, you have given me the confidence to move on =D.
I will start filling my tank up over the course of the week following the arrival of my TDS meter, because if I can fill my tank up for free I will, but right now for all I know my RO water is just as bad as my tap. I will start mixing salt, and order some base rock and start cycling. And maybe some people on here in my area can spare just a bit of live rock to help seed it =P.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishHugger http:///forum/thread/382617/need-to-start-cutting-some-costs/20#post_3341663
Lol I definitely appreciate all your input, that list that you brought up is stuff I already have, I threw away my 6 dollar hydrometer when I ordered my refractometer, and that is already here =P. The TDS meter was 10 bucks so I will keep that because if I cant afford a good ro/di unit, I at least want to test all available choices of water to find the best one.
IM just going to use that uv sterilizer as a power head
No need for that HOB filter, but I do honestly appreciate it, you have given me the confidence to move on =D.
I will start filling my tank up over the course of the week following the arrival of my TDS meter, because if I can fill my tank up for free I will, but right now for all I know my RO water is just as bad as my tap. I will start mixing salt, and order some base rock and start cycling. And maybe some people on here in my area can spare just a bit of live rock to help seed it =P.

It is not a HOB fiter it is a protien skimmer, it pulls stuff from the water you can't test for. You will need one, they run from $150.00 and up. I paid $250.00 on this one. It is a pain and I HATE HOB skimmers, they leak, they send microbubbles into the tank and never skim as good as they should. However it is 100% better than nothing. If you have plenty of live rock you can do away with one or so I have heard, but you won't have enough rock, not for a while.
If you decide you want the skimmer give a shout and it's yours. because of the kindness of friends here on the site, I have a new sump and refugium...I got an in sump protien skimmer that I am finally happy with. Like you, I had to build my system slow.
How in the world can you use a UV gizmo as a power head?

F

fishhugger

WWAAA, I will take it if you are genuine about this. In the next few months though once I catch up on my car payments, I will be obligated to repay you somehow.
The UV filter was kindof an impulse buy.....before my car broke down....I had already spent about $250 and was thinking 'whats 30 more dollars'. Well its a compact uv filter with the impeller built into it. Before I had bought it though I had looked them up briefly and it seemed like a good idea...I did not however read enough about them to realize how the flow rate effective their effectiveness. It flows pretty fast and has no kindof tube to give the water more time for the UV light to hit it. But it does double as a power head...a large powerhead...

J

jstdv8

you will not be sorry you waited on that RO water.
While you wait for the TDS meter you could be making water from the current RO system and then test it when you get the TDS emter to see if its good and then go ahead and mix it up, give you a headstart.
If you are serious about running that scrubber you won't need a skimmer and the same goes the otehr way. if you were to get a skimemr you could still use the scrubber, but the skimmer will process alot of stuff before it reaches the screen making the scrubber a little less effective.
i ran both a skimemr and scrubber for about 4 months, once the scrubber grew in real think and the phos and nitrates hit 0 I shut the skimmer off, kept testing my water and when the perameters stayed good I sold the skimmer.
just my experience to each his/her own

F

fishhugger

Well I want to run the scrubber, but I am along way off from that. I really dont want to run it above my tank but I have no option because if it below my tank I have to rebuild my overflow because the 1/2" pvc was just not enough. I wont need as large of a return pump then if I were to run it above tank....but even then its still about 1' of head loss so I still cant go with a cheap powerhead.
AND...unfortunately I am not as handy as I would like to think I am

J

jstdv8

A skimmer would get you by then until yuo get the parts pieces and equipment you need :)

F

fishhugger

Though I'd post some pictures of what I've got. I would like to continue this thread as my progress thread :)
Here is the full shot...not much going on here though. That's my new light fixture, Its only seats 1 t5 12k bulb and one actinic, but I am only planning for fish only, or at the VERY most some simple corals. It was a big upgrade from the stock fluorescent lighting though, and the prices wasn't bad either.
On the right side is a litter box >.<. I dont use the closet door so that side so there wont be any freaking out the fish on that side. The door on the left side however, will be used frequently. So I will probably get a lengthy enough background to cover up that side...I dont know yet, need opinions. I used to use a black contractor bag as my background, but it after a while I got pretty dirty, It was nice addition for a lengthy time though.

On the left side inside the tank is the 'compact' UV sterilizer....as I said it was a big impulse buy...hopefully I can get some use out of it, if only as a powerhead. And underneath is my canister filter which I will be loading up with carbon and filter floss. Unless anyone has any other ideas there.

100% silicone left from my cichlid tank....hopefully I'll have an excuse to use it this time. (I have been informed from many sources that this particular silcone is aquarium safe....if anyone says otherwise please chime in here before I use it =P)

NOT SHOWN: 3 powerheads, refractometer, 50lb bag of sand, my life slowly spiraling out of control.
I think once I get my TDS meter and find a suitable source of water, and get a good skimmer Ill be all ready to get started. I'm going to order some base rock in about...3 weeks from now.
Down the road I plan on setting up a sump. Ill probably have to find a 20g long because of the narrowness of 55g tanks.

F

fishhugger

OH YEAH, and of course kitty :) (lizzy)....and the idiot (jack)

I refuse to post personal pictures without including at least one of my cat, per thread.