NEED URGENT HELP

reb

I was attaching a few corals in my reef tank with Coralfix glue when my yellow tang picked at a coral I had just set in place and ate a big piece of glue. It tried to spit it out and couldn't. I finally caught it and used a tweezers to pull off what I could and moved it to my quaranteen tank, but it has been 1/2 hour and it still can not open its mouth. It goes around picking at rock I think trying to get the rest off or out. I tried feeding a few Mysis and it tried and tried and could not open its mouth to eat one. What do I do?

snakeblitz33

Hey Reb, welcome back.
You did right to pick some out of it's mouth. The fishes natural layer of mucus should slough it off in a day or so. If it's still there after that, you might need to check it with tweezers again.
Putting it in quarantine was probably a smart move, but it stressed it out.... so make sure you are staying on top of your quarantine husbandry.
Keep us posted.

reb

Checked on the fish this morning and it was able to open its mouth a little, and tonight seems totally back to normal.

flower

Wow...what a weird problem. I would have freaked out...I would never have thought of catching the fish and using tweezers to get it out of it's mouth. I'm glad this story has a happy ending.

geridoc

Someday we should start a thread on emergency surgeries you had to perform on your fish. I once used a clam knife to pry a puffer out of the mouth of my lionfish.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeriDoc http:///t/396201/need-urgent-help#post_3529553
Someday we should start a thread on emergency surgeries you had to perform on your fish. I once used a clam knife to pry a puffer out of the mouth of my lionfish.
That would be a very interesting thread, and may even help some folks to have someplace to go to for help on what to do if....
I had to use the rubber tip of a bobby pin to get air out of my male seahorses pouch.
What happened in your situation...did both the puffer and lionfish survive the ordeal?

geridoc

That would be a very interesting thread, and may even help some folks to have someplace to go to for help on what to do if....
I had to use the rubber tip of a bobby pin to get air out of my male seahorses pouch.
What happened in your situation...did both the puffer and lionfish survive the ordeal?
Yes, until a crack in a heater glass case electrophoresed the fish about a year later.

snakeblitz33

Lol, tools to have on hand in case of emergency fish surgery... Hah, a new Snake's Method brewing.... (Just kidding!)