needing some help

Willieg74

Hello, new to the site, finally decided to try and get some help. I have a 30 gal set up with a ehiem 60 canister, been up and running almost 2yrs now. Started out with to many fish, unfortunatly they narrowed themselves down, had some soft corals, they died, went through lighting problems, got that fixed, now my salinity is through the roof. Done water changes, use ro to top off tank, can't keep salinity down, any solutions? Pease

jay0705

Hydrometers are consistently off, a refractometer is the way to go. That said if your salinity was really high it would kill everything. Mine was at 1.030 when I checked w a refractometer after using a hydro before that. My fish were fine so I had no idea. Now really the only way to drop salinity is add fresh water. I add a half gal a day when evape is high in the winter

geridoc

In my lab the first lesson I teach my students is to never trust your instrumentation, especially when you are getting results that don't make sense, as you are seeing. Hydrometers are frequently off because of air bubbles stuck to the indicator in hard-to-see places. A refractometer with ATC should be a required piece of equipment in every salt water enthusiast's armory.

Willieg74

Thanks guys, i'm investing in one, have been adding up to a gal of ro a day with no luck as i lost blue hippo, yellow tangs along with a damsel