Needle Gar to Saltwater

vanquish

Is it possible to acclimate a needle gar to saltwater? Normally they are supposed to be kept in brackish, but at one point about a year ago I successfully acclimated a brackishwater moray to saltwater. I love the gars, and have kept them with cichlids in the past. Just wondering if its possible or if it’s a terrible idea.

my way

I read a lot of posts like this asking to acclimate a brackish fish to a marine environment and I don't understand why not just setup a brackish tank for them? I'm not flaming you, but it seems to be a lot of extra work for no reason.

actionjack

Originally Posted by My Way
I read a lot of posts like this asking to acclimate a brackish fish to a marine environment and I don't understand why not just setup a brackish tank for them? I'm not flaming you, but it seems to be a lot of extra work for no reason.
Its seems like more work to set up a whole new system for one fish then take a airline tube and acclimate a fish to an already established system. Not to mention a whole lot cheaper!!

vanquish

Oh no no, I understand you. Youre right, it is a lot of extra work. Maybe thats just part of the appeal to me though. I also kind of think that the fish would look really interesting in my saltwater tank. But you are correct, the best idea WOULD be to put it in its own tank without a doubt. I just want to know if this is possible, or if I should stay clear.

my way

Originally Posted by Vanquish
Oh no no, I understand you. Youre right, it is a lot of extra work. Maybe thats just part of the appeal to me though. I also kind of think that the fish would look really interesting in my saltwater tank. But you are correct, the best idea WOULD be to put it in its own tank without a doubt. I just want to know if this is possible, or if I should stay clear.
Would you be able to keep anything with it? Don't Gars get huge with an appetite to match?

vanquish

Would you be able to keep anything with it? Don't Gars get huge with an appetite to match?
In time yes. The trick is to keep them well fed on a diet of feeder fish. You are correct however, after several years they can get big. Of course, the limit on what they can eat is the size of their mouth.

kelly

From the following I would say yes
Needle Gar, Saltwater Gar, Atlantic Needlefish,
Range & Habitat : Gulfwide in all bays and nearshore waters and up many coastal rivers and streams. This is the most common of the six needlefish species in the Gulf of Mexico.
Hope this helps

vanquish

Originally Posted by Kelly
From the following I would say yes
Needle Gar, Saltwater Gar, Atlantic Needlefish,
Range & Habitat : Gulfwide in all bays and nearshore waters and up many coastal rivers and streams. This is the most common of the six needlefish species in the Gulf of Mexico.
Hope this helps
Hey thanks a lot! Very helpful.

vanquish

Originally Posted by whitey_028
did you accimate the fish yet? was it successful? I would like to know the outcome...
No I havent started. What I am thinking of is setting up my 10g, buying a small gar, and doing the process over about a month. I did a very similar treatment with a brown moray which was sold as "freshwater". Hopefully I can go 2-0.