Neon Dottyback and Royal Gramma

meadbhb

Hiya,
Well, I tried to find some info on these in the fish forum, but no luck.
Has anyone had a neon dottyback before? My LFS has one that is tank raised and was told they are reef safe.
Also was wondering if they'd mix with the royal gramma. My other LFS has a tank raised species and would like to mix the two.
Any comments, thoughts? They're going into a 7 month old 37 gallon with 70+ lbs of LR and a yellow tailed damsel and a toplin (I think) damsel.
Meadbhb

ssweet1

I have both in my 75 gallon reef no problems. They are the same size however, I wouldnt recommend a bigger royal gramma. The neon has a thing for overflows :rolleyes: But since he is soooo pretty he is worth the hassle. Carrie

wax32

Keep an eye on them in close quarters, they can be a little aggressive. Doesn't stop me from wanting one though. :)

meadbhb

Hiya,
Well, I came into a little money today and picked up the tank raised royal. Man...is he gorgious!!! He's already out and about and has put the damsels in their place. There wasn't any real fighting, just some body wiggles at each other. He's also staked out an overhang to call his own.
Now, if I can come up with the money for the dotty. I just might try it since they're both about the same size right now and tank raised. Hopefully, he'll pick a territory near the bottom of the tank.
Meadbhb

ccrljmr

i would get the dottyback. I heard they are awesome and great for keeping your bristleworm population in control

meadbhb

Hiya,
Unfortunately, I don't have any bristleworms, my six line wrasse took care of that before he passed. He also wiped out my flat worm population, which I wasn't to upset about.
Meadbhb