Network help/advice please!

nordy

I just got my 3 person office moved into a new apartment at the condo I manage and after installing a Cat5 network wiring system I got our phones, 3 PC's and one printer up and working!!! (Yeah, I'm a newb at this!). What I can't get working is the Linksys G wireless router. This router was setup at the old location as follows: Comcast cable connected to the modem, the modem fed my PC, my engineers PC, and a long ethernet cable to my office managers desk where it hooked up to the wireless router that was basically being used as an ethernet hub. From that router, her PC and our 2 printers were connected by ethernet cables.
Now, in the new location, the cable comes to the same Comcast modem which feeds the 4 hard wired ports I installed. When I connected the same wireless router to one of the ports so that I could connect both printers to the network by way of the wireless router (as a hub), the router won't transmit signal to the printer: the Xerox printer that works fine when plugged directly into the printer port, gives the "Network cable disconnected" error message when the router is connected to the port and the printer is plugged into the router. The wireless router lights up the internet light, and also lights up each port on its 4 LAN indicator lights when I try to connect the printer through that router.
Do these routers need to be setup or configured after being installed in a new location? It's weird because this router worked fine in the old office on Tuesday, but when I connect it in the new office as noted above, it doesn't want to work.
Otherwise, the network works fine, all 3 PC's have good and fast connections, and the one printer works fine when it's connected to the network directly through the same port that I try to use with the wireless router: It's just that when I connect the wireless router to that port to use it as a hub that the PC's don't connect with the printers.
This whole experience has been challenging, frustrating, and fun, all at the same time: I now know the 8 wire color connection pattern for the 568A configuration by heart and am so happy that I at least have installed the new phones and network sucessfully, but this one item is bugging the heck out of me.
Thanks for any help and/or advice that you can share with me!
John

bionicarm

Based on what I'm reading, you're not trying to use the wireless on the Linksys to conneect the printer to the network correct? You're essentially 'daisy-chaining' the Linksys off of one of the four Ethernet ports off the back of your Comcast modem so you can extend your network to another room? Which port on the back of the Linksys router do you have the cable plugged into coming from the Comcast modem? Sounds like you have it connected to the correct port if the 'Internet' light is coming on. It's also possible you may need a crossover cable to connect the Linksys to the Comcast. That, or you plug the cable into a port that has an 'X' on it. If you get on one of your PC's that's connected to the Linksys, can you login to the Linksys router via a web page? Normally the default address to get on the Linksys is 192.168.1.1. Look in the manual and it will tell you how to access the Admin screen on the router. It's also possible that someone put a Static IP into the Linksys router that it used to connect to your old network. Now that you've moved, that IP would've changed. You can verify whether the Linksys has a valid IP Address assigned to it coming from your Comcast modem, by looking at the status screen on the Admin web page. The other option is to follow the procedure in the manual to reset the settings of the Linksys back to Manufacturer Defaults.

dragonzim

I"m leaning towards Bionic's suggestion that you have a static IP address programmed into the wireless router. Most Linksys devices that I have seen have auto-sensing ports so you should not need a crossover cable to link the router to your modem. From what you are saying, your cable modem has multiple LAN ports on it? I havent seen one like that. Usually there is only one LAN port on the cable modem and you need a router of some sort in order to hook up more than one PC.

bionicarm

I've never seen a Comcast modem. I've got AT&T Uverse, and my modem not only has four Ethernet ports, but built-in Wireless G to boot.

yearofthenick

Is your comcast modem a 2WIRE? If so, type 192.168.1.254 - that's the default gateway for all 2WIRE modems. I had the same problem at the construction office I worked for a few years ago.
If your comcast modem IS a 2WIRE, then it should have wireless abilities built-in, in which case the linksys can now be used as a paper weight or a door stop - if you ask me, that's where Linksys wireless equipment really shines.

yearofthenick

Also, it's my understanding that unless you have a print server, your computers need to be connected to the same router as your printers in order for them to see each other. if you have two "tiers" of ethernet ports - one being the comcast modem and the other being linksys - then it will be much more tricky to get them to talk to each other, since they don't act as switches, but their own entities.