Never Again!

florida joe

It seems being in the witness protection plain has left me with much too much time on my hands. I started thinking (a rarity) if I had to restock my tank with fish again which one would I definitely leave off the list. In my case it would be my Sixline. I love my sixline on steroids to death but he is just such a thug especially with new additions to the tank, and still harasses my RG and Orchid Dottyback.
My question is this, which of the fish currently in your tank would you NOT reintroduce and why.
Please have first hand info and not just hearsay. This info I believe will be of value to new hobbyists

jennln

My clown trigger....they are cute and communal in the beginning but go bat sh*t crazy when they hit puberty
Should have done my research....

jackri

Any damsel other than chromis or possibly yellow tail. Other than that I hate the little bulldogs.

snakeblitz33

Yellow tail damsels
Domino Damsels
Blue Devil Damsels
Beau Gregory Damsels
Sgt. Major's
Six line wrasses
black and white clownfish
Maroon clownfish
Peppermint shrimp - (they pick at my clams!!!)
Cleaner shrimp - (They bother my clams!!)
Flame angel vs sailfin tang = ugly mess

pbnj

Without a doubt, Golden Dottyback.
My Sgt Major bullies new arrivals for a day or two then backs off, so I tolerate him.

naclfish

velvet damsel aka black death he has killed more than his share and wont let me add any new fish ive tried to catch him a few times and hes been lucky but he deff has a date with the toilet when i catch him

nina&noah

What a great thread. I was considering a six line, and the only reason I haven't gotten one is because I already have a yellow wrasse.
My never again is a royal dottyback. Also, a nasty little fish and since they look JUST LIKE a royal gramma, it makes more sense to get the royal gramma.

srfisher17

I've only kept one sixline and he was a wuss; and boring.I'm surprised to hear about all the problems with them. I admit I really know only what I read about them, but I've always thought they were supposed to be ideal community fish. I learn something every time I visit this forum.
Edit: I just checked 3 big online dealers and they all say (or suggest peaceful); but, as usual, I'll go with the folks on the forum.
As to a fish I'll never get again: a porcupine puffer, my nemesis! I love these fish; but for some reason, I can never keep them alive. I have a spiny box, which is supposed to be difficult. I'll never know why I lost 3 or 4 porkys (all within about the 1st 10 days); but I suspect cyanide--pretty stupid to use on such an easy fish to catch. May just be co-incidence too.

florida joe

Originally Posted by srfisher17
http:///forum/post/2935866
I've only kept one sixline and he was a wuss; and boring.I'm surprised to hear about all the problems with them. I admit I really know only what I read about them, but I've always thought they were supposed to be ideal community fish. I learn something every time I visit this forum.
Edit: I just checked 3 big online dealers and they all say (or suggest peaceful); but, as usual, I'll go with the folks on the forum.
As to a fish I'll never get again: a porcupine puffer, my nemesis! I love these fish; but for some reason, I can never keep them alive. I have a spiny box, which is supposed to be difficult. I'll never know why I lost 3 or 4 porkys (all within about the 1st 10 days); but I suspect cyanide--pretty stupid to use on such an easy fish to catch. May just be co-incidence too.
Trust me on this one Mr. T. Sixlines are the Dr. Jeckel and Mr. Hyde
of the fish world

fishyfun2

So, Joe, this is a fantastic thread for those of us trying to plan out our stock list. Have you also done one about the really awesome fish that every community tank should have?? I would be very interested to hear your list!

florida joe

Originally Posted by FishyFun2
http:///forum/post/2936041
So, Joe, this is a fantastic thread for those of us trying to plan out our stock list. Have you also done one about the really awesome fish that every community tank should have?? I would be very interested to hear your list!

My friend I think it is time for YOU to start a thread. An excellent thread would be. If you were starting your community tank over which fish would you defiantly have on the list and why ?

anjiro

I had a lantern basslet for a lil while. I wouldnt put him in a reef again. He would rip hermits out of their shells and eat them. He never bothered my shrimp, but he ate up about 10 hermits

coral head

Neon Dottyback. Very territorial and would not tolerate new additions. I read somewhere they should be the LAST fish added to an aquarium.
The problem is . . . . . who stops adding fish to their tank? Sooner or later something dies and you want to replace it.

fishkid13

My engineer goby. He was awesome but mesed with my fish when they got close to the rocks, which is everything, and he dug up my tank. At least I got him for $10.