Never go on vacation!

sprang

Well I got back after 8 days and found all my fish dead, decomposing at the bottom of the tank, and my coral half dead. Both my skimmer and filter were stopped, because the water level was so low. My salinity was .028, and nitrates out of this world, due to the dead fish! The Lady watching my tank seemed more worried about feeding my obese cat! Anyway could I get any advice on restocking the fish? It's just a 29 gallon...so I only need a few to boost my spirits! I did a 30% water change and removed the dead fish and have been running a crap load of carbon! The corals seems to be responding good! P.S. anyone have any good horror stories to share?

lion_crazz

I am really sorry to hear that sprang. Vacations sure can be deadly.
The first thing I would set-up is an auto top off for your tank. That way, this will never happen again on you.

primetizzle

Ok how about this one...I went out of town for about three days years ago when I had roomates. Well one of them forgot to pay the power bill and decided just to stay at there parents house until I got back in town and got everything turned back on....Well when I came home on Monday everything in the tank was dead, except one Tang. All my coral, all my plants, all the fish but that one Tang.

sprang

I just don't understand how complicated adding water to the tank could have been? I mean it was only a 29 gal. I kinda wonder if she came at all? I can't believe how well the coral is coming back to life,which i'm thankful! This hobby is a little more complex for the average joe I guess? Well I guess next time I'm gonna stock my fridge full of beer and get the kid at the l.f.s to take care of my tank!

N

nyyank

Here's one
Went away overnight last month--I had used some(READ;TOO MUCH) filter floss as a mechanical filter in the overflow--it plugged up, restricted water return to the sump which triggered my ATO system which just ran nonstop--I found a steady stream going from my DT along the carpet to the utility room drain.
Lucky it was just several hours, but the tank was diluted down to 1.001 SG
(probably killed every possible parasite in there
)
Lost a plate,colt and chili---inverts did OK
Brought it back up over the course of 2 weeks and did not lose anything else and learned some valuable lessons.
S--- Happens to all of us!!!
Good luck

stanlalee

happens. I went on a 3 day vacation, had the lights on a timer, auto feeder, JBJ auto top off and when I came back turns out the pump for the auto top off wasn't low enough in the reservoir (5 gallons) and the pump section of the sump was so low it already stopped pumping water to the display. Luckily it was only 3 days and the pump didn't burn up nor did the display evaporate too much but I was glad I didn't go any more than 3 days. Funny part is I had house sitters and they just ignored the sound of a pump running semi dry. things that never go wrong when your home have a way of doing so when your on vacation no matter how well you prepare.

J

jrthomas40

Originally Posted by Stanlalee
http:///forum/post/2639538
happens. I went on a 3 day vacation, had the lights on a timer, auto feeder, JBJ auto top off and when I came back turns out the pump for the auto top off wasn't low enough in the reservoir (5 gallons) and the pump section of the sump was so low it already stopped pumping water to the display. Luckily it was only 3 days and the pump didn't burn up nor did the display evaporate too much but I was glad I didn't go any more than 3 days. Funny part is I had house sitters and they just ignored the sound of a pump running semi dry. things that never go wrong when your home have a way of doing so when your on vacation no matter how well you prepare.
aint that the truth...i hate going anywhere cuz i am so scared something is going to go wrong...it ALWAYS happens when you are on vacation or sound asleep in a warm and cozy bed

Every time I go on vacation I have my brother always top off the water, check the salinity and if its over 1 week he does the water change..so I would train someone close you know to really take care of it, it must be a horrible feeling coming home to your dead fish :( I'm sorry to hear that man gl

debbie

So sorry to hear about your tank and fish. I am soooo lucky with my two boys even though they could not care a less about the fish tanks, but they know what will happen if mom comes home and disaster has struck. They always phone us to if there are any doubts. But back to your situation.
When I go away I always have water ready for the tank, now i have a 10 gal so I am dealing with alot more risk here. I have put a black line on the water level to where it should be kept at all times. They check this everyday and top up if needed to bring to that line, they know that it cannot go below this line either. It has worked great even when the moth-in-law has come to do this.
Feeding, i use the empty camera film containers. These are worth their weight in gold. I put the right amount of dry foods into these containers so all they have to do is open and dump one and can never over feed. The frozen foods I have all sectioned out in the freezer and they just do the same here and add one of the frozen foods. I have never in my 4 years of this hobby come back to any type of tank disaster and that is even with my Freshwater Discus tank too.
Hubby and I travel quite a bit in a year, I guess I must have good fish keepers even though they don't like fish.......

Hope your tank recovers so you can carry on with some new stock.Hey what did you have in there for fish, inverts and corals before this all happened??

copeseter

I went for 6 days once to Jamica. In the summer no doubt and I came home to find my heater had stuck in the on postion and cooked everything except omehow my anemone and clown survived. Had thought of everything, auto food, auto top off, auto lights. Why would I expect the heater to even come on in the summer much less stick on!