Nevermind

T

thomas712

Originally Posted by lovethesea
going to Croatia soon???
I only wish that were true.
This is a very different language for me. I've gone through French, Spanish and even speak some Russian and Japanese, a handful of Turkish, Arabic, Vietnamise, Chinese.
Most of us know that a J is like an H in spanish, however in Croatian the J is more like an E, and I still get confused. Try to wrap your tougne around a simple phrase like this.
Gdje je? = Where is?
And remeber the j is like an e, and they put the j and e together. They have like 9 different words for "you" and you have to watch for feminine, masculine, formal, informal....And can you believe Europeans think our language is tough!

sula

Originally Posted by Thomas712
This is a very different language for me. I've gone through French, Spanish and even speak some Russian and Japanese, a handful of Turkish, Arabic, Vietnamise, Chinese.
Most of us know that a J is like an H in spanish, however in Croatian the J is more like an E, and I still get confused. Try to wrap your tougne around a simple phrase like this.
Gdje je? = Where is?
And remeber the j is like an e, and they put the j and e together. They have like 9 different words for "you" and you have to watch for feminine, masculine, formal, informal....And can you believe Europeans think our language is tough!
Fascinating hobby, Thomas!!!
Is there a purpose for it, or do you study these languages just for fun?
I'm thinking it might be kinda hard to find a Croatian group to practice with in Michigan... or no?

T

thomas712

Originally Posted by Sula
Fascinating hobby, Thomas!!!
Is there a purpose for it, or do you study these languages just for fun?
I'm thinking it might be kinda hard to find a Croatian group to practice with in Michigan... or no?
Mostly for fun, the different sounds of a forien language have always turned my ear so to speak.
Perhaps we have all done it, worked with someone who was from a different country, wondered about their life growing up somewhere else.
I currently work with a person from Croatia, one day I started looking up phrases to say hello and ask how are you today. I innocently walked by and said Hello=Zdrovo, Kako ste?= how are you? You should have seen the look on thier face to hear there own language spoken to them. It was priceless...This person opened up immediatly and we became friends.