New 100G

osb

Hi everyone. I’ve been browsing for a while and have a few questions. I am buying a 100g setup from a friend who is moving. Unfortunately, I don’t know all of the specifics, except it has a wet/dry filter and a UV sterilizer. He has been using it for cichlids.
My first question is are the bio balls in the wet/dry that he has been using for the freshwater fish all right to use when I switch it over to saltwater? I have been told to definitely use them because they already have good bacteria on them, and I have been told not to use them.
Also, I was browsing at my LFS and asked about LR. I was asked if I was setting up a reef or FO tank. When I told him FO, and possibly adding some simple corals in time, he told me that was not possible, that reef tanks are only filtered by LR, and once you set up, you can not change. From everything I’ve read here and in books, this makes no sense.
Any input?

On the bio balls, they were used for fresh water. now, somebody plz correct me if i am wrong, but that is a diff kind of bactira. YOu could use them, but give them a good cleaning.
Live rock is sued for filtering. They are like "live" bio balls. YOu could start with a fish only with live rock (fowlr) and then move up to a reef later. just be careful what you buy. If you do plan to have corals in the future, remeber that when you pick out your fish.
//A 100 gal would make a nice reef tank:happy:

osb

Thanks. My LFS made it seem like if you had corals, there was NO other filteration besides the live rock. Once the tank gets here, i'm sure i'll have more specific questions. I've been doing my research here for awhile. Thanks again

mudplayerx

I'm taking microbiology now and it is safe to say that the bacteria from the freshwater bioballs will transfer over to saltwater fine. Some species are Pseudomonas Aeruginosa, Proteus Mirabilis, Legionalla Pneumophiliae, etc... Some of the bacteria species will die off, but there are plenty that can live in both fresh and salt. Granted, you won't have any halophiles on the freshwater bioballs.
Keep in mind that some of the bacteria that contribute to the nitrogen cycle are pathogens, but are extremely unlikely to cause infection unless you are completely immunocompromised.

Originally posted by mudplayerx
I'm taking microbiology now and it is safe to say that the bacteria from the freshwater bioballs will transfer over to saltwater fine. Some species are Pseudomonas Aeruginosa, Proteus Mirabilis, Legionalla Pneumophiliae, etc... Some of the bacteria species will die off, but there are plenty that can live in both fresh and salt. Granted, you won't have any halophiles on the freshwater bioballs.
Keep in mind that some of the bacteria that contribute to the nitrogen cycle are pathogens, but are extremely unlikely to cause infection unless you are completely immunocompromised.

I stand corrected. I did not know that.