new 120 gallon for Christmas

mlm

I am getting a 120 gallon Glass Aquarium for Christmas that I was hoping to keep Acros and Clams in. The measurements for the tank are 48Lx24Wx24D. The lighting for the tank will be 2 6500K 250 watt MH and 2 110 watt VHO Actinic bulbs. Will this light be sufficent for what I want to do?

spyderreef

I don't know the answer to your question. I just received the exact tank from friends of ours that are moving. How big of a sump and what kind of skimmer are you planning to use? I'm also trying to figure out the lighting. I want to buy a couple MH but not sure what to go with. I have (2) 175W 10000k on my 125 and some say that is not enough but things are doing fine. I know I want a DSB but haven't thought about what will be going into the tank. I will be very interested in what others suggest.

mlm

The sump I plan on using is the biggest rubbermaid container that I can fit under the tank and still have room to see into it from the top. I am going to buy a down draft skimmer that a LFS near me builds in their shop. I also plan on having some typ of refugium with in the sump maybe like a smaller rubber made container with some holes in it and a powerhead for some circulation.

jonthefb

if you do the 250's i think you shoul dbump the temp rating up to 10000K and possibly add a third light. thats really weird that its only 4 feet long by two wide by two deep. with 2 250's and 2 110 vhos your looking at 6 wpg, if you bumped that up to 2 400w's and 2 110 vho youd be looking at 8.2 wpg., and would definately have more options with more light, jsut my opinions though!
good luck
jon

mlm

I was thinking that when you go to halides the WPG rule goes out the window b/c it is a point source of light. Why the 10 ks over the 65k. I thought 65s are the best for sps.

jarre

The 10,000 adds more on the blue side of the spetrum and is a more balance bulb. IMO - which is based on limited knowledge - LOL