New 120 Gallon Reef Build

mikeny

Hi all. First time poster, long time lurker. Love the site!
I have been running a 29 gallon reef for a little over 1 year and will be upgrading to a All Glass Aquarium 120 (48x24x24) and need some advice. My current set up contains:
Livestock:
1 Diamond Watchman Goby
1 Yellow Tang
3 Blue-Green Chromis
1 Ocellaris Clownfish
Corals:
1 Torch
1 Green Frogspawn
1 Leather Toadstool
1 Galaxea Coral
1 Dendrophilia Coral
1 Open Brain Coral
Equipment:

Aqueon Module 4 Proflex Sump set up as a refugium with Cheato and DSB
Coralife Skimmer
Coralife T5 Lighting
Two Little Fishes Phosban Reactor 150
Reef Keeper Lite
2 Hydor Koralia 1400 GPH Pumps
I'm looking for the best way to get everything moved over to the new system. I've order 120 pounds of Arag Alive Live Sand and 120 pounds of BRS Pukani Dry Live Rock. I'm trying to avoid taking any sand or live rocks from my existing tank since I've had a problem with Apatsia that I'd rather not have to deal with in the new tank.
Here's what I'm thinking of doing and maybe you guys can point to any problems (if any)
1: Install a canister filter on my 29 gallon
2: Move the refugium w/ Cheato and DSB over to the 120
3: Move the skimmer and reactor to the 120
4: Set up live sand and dry rock
5: Cycle with the lights off
6: Is there any particular order that I should use to get the fishes over to the new tank? When it's time, do I move them all at once?
7: I'm hoping to add a few more Tangs to the new tank. Should I hold off moving the Yellow Tang I currently have until I get the new ones ready to go in?
I guess we're I'm confused is...
1: Do I need to cure the rock outside of the tank if it's an entirely new system? If I do, can I fill the tank with water/live sand and start cycling while I'm also curing?
2: Will running the refugium shorten my cycle and/or lessen the effects of algae outbreaks? Should I even be running the refugium and/or reactors during the cycle?
3: If I'm using all live sand, will that start the cycle on it's own or do I need to do something else to get that going?
4: How long do I need to be running the new tank before I can move my corals over? What do I need to look for, if anything?
I had a tough battle with GHA and Cyano when I first set up my 29 and it wasn't fun at all. I'm hoping to avoid the same mistakes this time around and not lose any fish!
-Mike

J

jstdv8

You could just leave your current rocks out in the open and dry out and kill all the aiptasia then reuse them. :)
1.) no you can put your rocks into the DT and cycle it
2.) not sure
3.)put a dinner shrimp in there for a few days and check for ammonia
4.) let the whole cycle process happen and when your ammonia and nitrites are all at 0 do a water change to get out nitrates. Then it should be safe to make the switch with livestock.

J

jstdv8

If you've ever had a problem with any fish disease this would be the time to hospital tank your fish too so you can start over fresh.

mikeny

After 16-17 days, my cycle is done. I believe I was able to shorten this cycle by hooking up the refugium and using waste water from my 29 gallon during water changes. I started the cycle using a raw table shrimp which i left in the tank to totally decompose. All my parameters are zero.
Here is a fts:

Last night I moved 2 of my chromis over to the new tank. I'm going to move the livestock over a little at a time because I don't want to increase the bio-load too quickly.
I haven't noticed any algae anywhere in the tank yet. I'm not sure if this is because it's too soon or because I have no lights on the tank and the lots of cheato in the refugium. I'm not complaining though!

sweatervest13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNY http:///t/393508/new-120-gallon-reef-build#post_3503718
After 16-17 days, my cycle is done. I believe I was able to shorten this cycle by hooking up the refugium and using waste water from my 29 gallon during water changes. I started the cycle using a raw table shrimp which i left in the tank to totally decompose. All my parameters are zero.
Here is a fts:

Last night I moved 2 of my chromis over to the new tank. I'm going to move the livestock over a little at a time because I don't want to increase the bio-load too quickly.
I haven't noticed any algae anywhere in the tank yet. I'm not sure if this is because it's too soon or because I have no lights on the tank and the lots of cheato in the refugium. I'm not complaining though!
It will come sooner or later.

LOL. Enjoy the time its not there. LOL
Tank looks good man. What kind of lights are you thinking about using??

mikeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatervest13 http:///t/393508/new-120-gallon-reef-build#post_3503728
It will come sooner or later.

LOL. Enjoy the time its not there. LOL
Tank looks good man. What kind of lights are you thinking about using??
I've had my eye on the Ecotech Radion for a long time. It seems like an even better deal now that the prices came down a bit. I'm hoping to get away with using just 2 since they cost a fortune.

sweatervest13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNY http:///t/393508/new-120-gallon-reef-build#post_3503766
I've had my eye on the Ecotech Radion for a long time. It seems like an even better deal now that the prices came down a bit. I'm hoping to get away with using just 2 since they cost a fortune.
Radion's are nice but pricey. The GHL Mitras are VERY nice and cost more. The Chinese LED's are coming along and the price is dropping a bit. LMK if you are interested in some sites that sell the Chinese ones if you want to research. I just ordered two units (IT2080's Evergrow Lighting) from reefbreeders, they are full spectrum, dimmable, and controllable for a lot less $$ then the Radions. Plus I heard the Radion's are a PITA to program. But if you want a thunderstorm feature it might be worth the extra $$.

mikeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatervest13 http:///t/393508/new-120-gallon-reef-build#post_3503943
Radion's are nice but pricey. The GHL Mitras are VERY nice and cost more. The Chinese LED's are coming along and the price is dropping a bit. LMK if you are interested in some sites that sell the Chinese ones if you want to research. I just ordered two units (IT2080's Evergrow Lighting) from reefbreeders, they are full spectrum, dimmable, and controllable for a lot less $$ then the Radions. Plus I heard the Radion's are a PITA to program. But if you want a thunderstorm feature it might be worth the extra $$.
I'm a little nervous about doing a DIY LED system. It's a lot of money to blow if it doesn't come out right. I do a lot of website programming so I'm pretty sure I can handle the Radions. It can't be that hard, can it?
The thunderstorm mode is a cool way to show them off =)

sweatervest13

LOL, If you are a programmer than you should have no issues. To me the choice was pay double for the Radions just for the complete programmable features, or go with the Chinese units that can be dimmed and somewhat controlled.
I think that the size of the tank helps some reefers choose which direction they go in. If I had a small reef, I might have gone with a premium fixture, but because I needed the equivalent of 3 Radions, I went with the cheaper Chinese units. They have not come in yet so I can't tell you if they are decent. There is a large thread on the large forum for the Chinese LED's. Good read. People over there seem to be hyped up about them. A non current member here (NikeSB) just go his IT2040 in, he was a very well respected member on SWF.com before he stopped coming by all the time.
Did you check out the GHL Mitras yet? Crazy huh?

reefr

GHL mitras and radions are basically the same.
On a RC thread, I read the radions got better,stronger PAR readings.

acrylic51

Maybe dig a little deeper there was a comparison done, and Radions weren't top dog......Coverage a bit better as well by the Mitras.....If needed PM me and I'll shoot you the link.

marvelfan

I bought 2 sents of TaoTronic LED's I have 1 on my 29 gallon right now. I just bought another to combine with it to put on my 120 gallon. I've had a good experience with them. They are dimmable as well. I think the first one was $180 and this last one I got for $150. Ebay. If you want the seller name PM me and I'll look him up.
I should mention that next year I do plan on doing a custom LED build, but I figure these cheap LED's will buy me time until I my wedding is paid for and I finally have some extra cash for the hobby!

mikeny

Well, I finally ordered my 2 Radions last night. I'm hoping to get them in at the end of this week or early next week. I can't wait!